Respected Contributor

Re: QVC gems vs. other shopping channels

I'd say that even with the pitiful lineup of mostly ugly gems on the last QVC gem day, that day still beats what is on ShopHQ today.

Paul Deasy is hogging the airwaves over there today with his collection of composite, reformulated, glazed, mixed-with-bronze turquoise and other opaque gems, including the special of the day, which is a composite of an opaque stone and BRONZE.

Ugh.

Contributor

I really like that Qvc has the GIA look at samples of their gemstones.
Valued Contributor

I used to like Michel's Gems en Vogue when he had his gems in GOLD. His pieces are now in ss and gold plate and border on the gaudy and ostentatious, imo. But I did get gorgeous strand of spice pearls from him years ago. Chuck? Well, he seems to love his family, so... Victoria Wick? Costume jewelry IMO.

I miss the days of Sonia B, Richard Palarmero and the gold shows. Forget the Q and HSN. I rarely if ever watch them. I do like Gem shopping network, have gotten some absolutely gorgeous things from them, but they are on too late for me most nights.

Honored Contributor

If you watch ShopHQ, you can get some good deals on really nice gems set in gold. They carry quite a bit that never sees air time too, some of it pricey but good quality. Some additional thoughts.

You have to carefully watch Chuck's jewelry. Sometimes his gold settings are so flimsy that they won't hold the stone or they are just poor quality. However, I've also found some very good pieces from him (I watch for them to go on clearance). I don't buy his silver and clad as it's mostly junk.

I loved Michael's 14k line but he doesn't bring in much gold anymore. But keep and eye out as he does occasionally and they are quick sell outs. I bought gorgeous 14k and turquoise ring from him a couple of months ago. Michael is known for quality gemstones. Some of his GEV palladium pendants are very nice. But I don't like his rings and earrings because they are huge. Bigger is not always better.

I don't even tune in for Paul Deasy. He reminds me of a stereotypical used car salesman, just too slick. His jewelry is all in silver. I can't wear silver.

I have purchased a few things from JTV. They use mostly 10k though you can find some things in 14k. You have to be careful though. Everything I've purchased had to be repaired before wearing....prongs not tight, etc. I love their moissanite in yellow gold but their inventory is seriously lacking these days.

HSN....I will never buy a Victoria Wieck piece again. I bought 2 this year, both clearly marked as 14k. Both were clad. I have worked with an independent jeweler for 20 years and trust him and he said they were clad. I went back and check HSN's site and both were very clearly marked 14k and not clad. I returned them.

HSN's gold selection is non-existent. I'm not interested in their other lines. Like Q and Shop, a lot of it is overpriced costume jewelry.

Honored Contributor

On 7/16/2014 stevieb said:

I tend still to think QVC's jewelry, overall, (and not saying this is the case for every single piece or every single line they offer), is a cut above the others, though certainly not the full step up it used to be. I'm also not saying the variety is what it used to be, by a long shot.

I have to disagree. After buying and returning many thin, tinny pieces of silver from the Q, I've ceased even watching the jewelry shows except for Carolyn Pollack and Or Paz. I think everyone else in the TV shopping world exceeds QVC in quality. I've bought far more from HSN and SHQ the past couple of years....better quality and variety. No Bronzo.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

And JTV I s really stepping up,all things considering it is not bad.
Honored Contributor

Well I'm an "East Coast Viewer" too and what a surprise, the person called "East Coast Viewer" said exactly what I think and feel.

I have some beautiful pieces I bought a long time ago from HSN. Most of them are Victoria Wieck pieces, set in gold and a few in silver.

I don't think much of their jewelry anymore. I find that QVC jewelry (although boring) is much better quality.

I love Victoria Wieck's jewelry but I don't like that it's now set in "mystery metal" now.

Respected Contributor

On 10/21/2014 Margo Channing said:

I used to like Michel's Gems en Vogue when he had his gems in GOLD. His pieces are now in ss and gold plate and border on the gaudy and ostentatious, imo. But I did http://etvnet.comget gorgeous strand of spice pearls from him years ago. Chuck? Well, he seems to love his family, so... Victoria Wick? Costume jewelry IMO.

I miss the days of Sonia B, Richard Palarmero and the gold shows. Forget the Q and HSN. I rarely if ever watch them. I do like Gem shopping network, have gotten some absolutely gorgeous things from them, but they are on too late for me most nights.

ITA! I miss my Sonia,and Palermo( have only one set but gorgeous,smokey with garnets), and Leonardo was so entertaining....kicking myself still for not buying more of Carlo Vianni Burmese rubies! On clearance! And remember a Brazilian gentleman selling fab pieces in 18k gold with great gems,very unusual design?
Honored Contributor

Ah, those were the days, SANNA, never to return.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Super Contributor

Check out this beauty over at HSN!

Only $22,990.90

2 flexpays of $11,495.45 {#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}

Rarities 14.94ct Tanzanite/White Diamond 18K Gold Ring