Trusted Contributor

Re: QVC gems vs. other shopping channels

On 7/17/2014 addiegal said:
On 7/17/2014 Kalli said:

I used to shop ValueVision (shophq) back in the day for the hands-down, best price per gram on 14K. I sure wish I'd spent $ on some of their large tanzanites sold by the Ramseys and the nice pieces by designer S Bitton.

I'm really picky about gemstones and loupe every one I buy. I want them to have nice, uniform color and NOT have scratches, pits, etc. It doesn't matter which network I buy gemstones from, all have sent me nice pieces and all have sent me pitted, scratched gemstones that I've returned. One of the venders I do not care for at all is C. Clemency. Just don't care for his stuff. JMHO

-Kalli

I watched the Ramseys and Sonia B. but didn't buy from them...I remember the huge Nigerian tourmalines and rubelites...and I wish I'd bought more gold pieces. I have some that are worth so much more than I paid. Heavy gold. Remember 18Kt Elegance? I think Chuck C. had much better pieces back when...I have several of his pieces which I love, a Ceylon sapphire ring, salmon tourmaline were very nice. I don't much care for his things now.
Back in the day before gold prices soared, ValueVision/ShopNBC had the best jewelry and lots of it, especially 18K. I loved the jewelry from the Ramsey's, Sonia Bitton, Michelle Albala and several of the other designers 18K Elegance included. No one offers the selection or quality anymore. Oh for the good ole days!
Super Contributor

I feel that HSN now is overloaded with Michael Anthony's 10K gold. I prefer 14K or 18K. I understand that for some people who don't wish to have any tarnish issues prefer 10K to buying silver they'll have to care for at some point.

I feel that ShopHQ has too many 14K rose gold jewelry pieces. I can understand having some pieces but not their majority.

JTV has a fair amount of 10K gold and 14K. Less of 18K but I think they are working on it. However most of these 14K and 18K pieces have no video on the their website. So to get a look at them you have to depend on catching a gold show. Also I don't know about their return polices.

Respected Contributor

On 7/18/2014 MJDinHawaii said:
On 7/17/2014 Kalli said:

I used to shop ValueVision (shophq) back in the day for the hands-down, best price per gram on 14K. I sure wish I'd spent $ on some of their large tanzanites sold by the Ramseys and the nice pieces by designer S Bitton.

I'm really picky about gemstones and loupe every one I buy. I want them to have nice, uniform color and NOT have scratches, pits, etc. It doesn't matter which network I buy gemstones from, all have sent me nice pieces and all have sent me pitted, scratched gemstones that I've returned. One of the venders I do not care for at all is C. Clemency. Just don't care for his stuff. JMHO

-Kalli

I watched the Ramseys and Sonia B. but didn't buy from them...I remember the huge Nigerian tourmalines and rubelites...and I wish I'd bought more gold pieces. I have some that are worth so much more than I paid. Heavy gold. Remember 18Kt Elegance? I think Chuck C. had much better pieces back when...I have several of his pieces which I love, a Ceylon sapphire ring, salmon tourmaline were very nice. I don't much care for his things now.
Back in the day before gold prices soared, ValueVision/ShopNBC had the best jewelry and lots of it, especially 18K. I loved the jewelry from the Ramsey's, Sonia Bitton, Michelle Albala and several of the other designers 18K Elegance included. No one offers the selection or quality anymore. Oh for the good ole days!
I am so glad that I bought my share of Sonia B.,Ramsey's , 18 k elegance,Omar Torres,Carlo Viani,M.Palermo and other good people so now I just satisfy an occasional desire to buy something pretty.My daughter is surly happy.
Respected Contributor

On 7/18/2014 MJDinHawaii said:
On 7/17/2014 Kalli said:

-Kalli

I am so glad that I bought my share of Sonia B.,Ramsey's , 18 k elegance,Omar Torres,Carlo Viani,M.Palermo and other good people so now I just satisfy an occasional desire to buy something pretty.My daughter is surly happy.
Honored Contributor

Gem Shopping Network only available on Dish or Direct had really expensive jewelry. I have cable so am not sure if they are still on. I bought a strand of pearls from Rebecca and Mark (who is now on JTV) and a pair of Tahitian black earrings. They prided themselves on selling inly natural colored.I love the earrings but the necklace is over the top natural pink 11-13 size rounds. I hardly ever wear it. Mark now sells more dyed less expensive items. I live watching the various shows especially the estate shows.

Many of the various show sell loose gems and set pieces in the hundreds to thousands.They are esquisite and the shows were fun to watch even if I never intended to buy.

I only have 1 item from QVC which was a Feb TSV CP cuff which I have worn quite often.

Respected Contributor

I buy from all 3 but I think ShopHQ has the best. I have a lot of very nice things from them and they have real sales. I only splurge on QVC for Carolyn Pollack. I think for the most part, her items are beautiful. They are made in the USA and I respect that. Worth it in my opinion. Shophq, I like a lot of different things, I have some lovely Sleeping Beauty Pieces, from the old days some stunning jewelry in 14K Gold. Very high quality in my opinion. I guess I buy less on HSN. I like Victoria Weick and Bali Jewelry. I also love Nicky Butler and usually pick his things up on sale. That is about all that I buy. I find the Bali Jewelry to be more expensive on HSN then Samual Benhim on ShopHQ. I am a avid fan of Samual also but usually buy on sale. Dallas Prince too.

Super Contributor

I have gotten some amazing pieces, as well as loose gems, from JTV. They have the best quality and selection of all of the shopping channels, in my opinion, as well as plenty of choices of gold and silver settings. QVC's offerings are below average by comparison.
Valued Contributor

I buy gems mostly from QVC and have been happy with most of what I have purchased...however, I now find there is very little to buy. I don't want bronze or resin filled. I like real gold or sterling so I am now limited since there seems to be a rush to lesser quality. I am also surprised at the really high prices for gems even when they seem to be not that rare...so I buy a lot less. I would like to find out if the gem mines are as active as in the past...not talking about the Tanzanite or sleeping beauty closed mines but the garnet and amethyst sources. Just wondering if the problems across the planet are decreasing the output of gem material. Hopefully QVC will continue to offer gem shows even though they are a far cry from the many shows in years gone by.

Esteemed Contributor

I like gems but I don't want my jewelry cluttered up with CZ UNLESS I choose it that way so I am picky about what I buy. Since Q has gotten away from jewelry shows over the past few years, I've turned more to ShopHQ. I like Michael V's items for gem quality although for me the huge rings are not particularly appealing - however, put a stone that size in a pendant and I'm far more interested.

Q has also become far more generic and in a word boring - even in their "designer" lines. I like Peyton and have no problem watching and listening to him on shows, but David M leaves me totally cold and not interested plus IMO he contributes to the less interesting jewelry offers even though he's supposed to be this awesome buyer. Apparently not since I have items from years ago that are far more interesting in design than what they offer now.

Stevie - I didn't even look twice at that bracelet. One, I've seen something similar before as a TSV and for the price, it didn't appeal. I agree that Q needs to rethink their jewelry.

Contributor

I like QVC's jewelry best, and ShopHQ is next in line. I find HQ's jewelry more expensive than QVC. HQ has an 18K line, as QVC does, and I have seen the same pieces on both sites, with QVC's prices lower. I don't buy jewelry from HSN at all anymore. The last 14K gold piece I bought fell apart. I had bought the insurance, but they just kept repairing it until the warranty on the insurance ran out, and then I had to sell it for scrap.