Trusted Contributor

I'm afraid to buy any Or Paz pieces that have the yellow or rose plating. I'm afraid they will not hold up over time. What's been your experience with this, any peeling or turning and the piece is ruined?  Which pieces did this happen to?  Thanks!

Respected Contributor

Re: Or Paz 14K Plating Question

I think that the lifetime of the plating depends on how you intend to wear the ring. 

is it going to be a 24/7 , shower with it on, hands in cleaners, and such, or something you accessorize with?

I have several plated pieces, and they look like the day i bought them. I just don't wear any of them on a daily basis. 

things like detergents, oils in your skin, and just normal wear and tear, will compromise the plating eventually. 

Honored Contributor

I will not buy gold plated jewelry because I don't want to have to worry about the plating coming off. That being said, I buy gold glad and have worn it for years and did not pamper it and it has held up. I noticed the Q is using gold plating on their Diamonique now and I'm not buying it.

Honored Contributor

I agree with @kittyloo -  depends upon how you'll use the piece.  I've worn an Affinity ring with a band of gold plating too many years and days in those years to count and the ring is still in perfect condition.

But even rings we buy for far more money don't necessarily last forever.  I never saw my mother wear the diamond wedding set that became my inheritance because the platinum wore through.  I can't say how many years that took since I don't really know exactly when she stopped wearing them. 

Honored Contributor

Go for the sterling/14k pieces instead.  I don't buy plated things, however I have been very pleased with a sterling/ (solid) 14k Or Paz ring I bought.

Had the TSV been made with solid spinner rings, I probably would have gone for it.

Trusted Contributor

@blackhole99 wrote:

I will not buy gold plated jewelry because I don't want to have to worry about the plating coming off. That being said, I buy gold glad and have worn it for years and did not pamper it and it has held up. I noticed the Q is using gold plating on their Diamonique now and I'm not buying it.

@blackhole99Sorry I know little about the other jewelry lines at QVC. What is the difference beween gold clad and gold plating other than maybe QVC can charge more for it?  Is it only that real designers use gold clad?

Honored Contributor

@Harvard99  If I am not mistaken QVC's gold clad is quite a few layers more than the typical gold plating.

Frequent Contributor

I own a lot of Or Paz  and other gold plated pieces as well, many of them are several years old, and all still look great, no peeling, chipping etc. But I don't wear the same pieces every day, though I do have a few go-to pieces that I grab often when I'm in a hurry that get worn more than others. I'm also careful with my jewelry, I take off my rings when i wash my hands, and I don't exercise or do anything messy with it on either.