Honored Contributor

Here's a good example why QVC is in the dumps on their jewelry sales.  Nancy and Jeff Moseley are waxing poetic over this adulterated turquoise stone that's a manufactured product invented by Marty Colbaugh of the Kingman Mine.  They act as though it's a wondrous invention just discovered.

In reality, Jay King was selling this stuff 15 years ago; he even had it in purple and a nasty yellow-green.  For some reason he quit selling it a long time ago.  Maybe his customers were knowledgeable enough to know it's junk.

Shame on these two so-called "gem experts".

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624, I just happened to be "channel surfing" when I came upon their presentation.

They were trying to put a new spin on this jewelry.

I listened for awhile and I was thinking exactly what you posted.

Respected Contributor

Paul Deasy pushes this stuff also over on Evine. Of course he does....

-Texas Hill Country-
Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 I was watching that first presentation, too and I thought -- seriously? this is the "snake oil" that QVC is now selling!

I won't be buying.

Super Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Here's a good example why QVC is in the dumps on their jewelry sales.  Nancy and Jeff Moseley are waxing poetic over this adulterated turquoise stone that's a manufactured product invented by Marty Colbaugh of the Kingman Mine.  They act as though it's a wondrous invention just discovered.

In reality, Jay King was selling this stuff 15 years ago; he even had it in purple and a nasty yellow-green.  For some reason he quit selling it a long time ago.  Maybe his customers were knowledgeable enough to know it's junk.

Shame on these two so-called "gem experts".

I think Jay King stopped buying lots of stuff from Kingman when prices skyrocketed. Apparently, their friendship only goes so far. He's talked on-air some about why he doesn't buy much from Marty any more.

Trusted Contributor

Kachina, are you saying that this is reconstituted Kingman turquoise? I mean fake turquoise. Is the Kingman mine not producing quality turquoise anymore?

Super Contributor

Mojave turquoise is not natural turquoise is reconstituted. They add cooper to it. ShopLC also sells this, but also real turquoise. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Mojave Turquoise

[ Edited ]

@Squirrel Lover wrote:

Kachina, are you saying that this is reconstituted Kingman turquoise? I mean fake turquoise. Is the Kingman mine not producing quality turquoise anymore?

The Kingman mine has small pieces of rough (genuine turquoise) which they put in a press with bronze or copper metal and scrunch it together with pressure to make a bigger piece of composite turquoise. It's all real material but the finished product is man made. @Squirrel Lover

Reconstituted is different from Mohave. Reconstituted is made by pulverizing genuine turquoise stones into a powder then they add a polymer to form a clay-like substance which can be molded or shaped into any size or shape.

Honored Contributor

I guess because this is real turq that is enhanced with copper to give it a bigger, more interesting look, they think people won't mind. I know turq has to be stabilized, but I don't want it enhanced with color or other minerals.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 - As a turquoise lover, this is one I hadn't heard of before. Thank you for letting us know what it REALLY is! Smiley Surprised