Honored Contributor

@Squirrel Lover wrote:

Kachina, are you saying that this is reconstituted Kingman turquoise? I mean fake turquoise. Is the Kingman mine not producing quality turquoise anymore?

@Squirrel Lover.  Yes and yes.  The process is top secret supposedly done in China using Kingman scraps, pieces and material too soft for normal use.  Yes, the Kingman Mine also produces quality stone.  Its more composite than reconstituted, but it's not natural.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Mohave turquoise is like 'chicken nuggets'...they take little bits real stuff and smash it together to make bigger nuggets of real stuff.Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

There is turquoise characteristics of several specific mines that do naturally contain metallic pyrite, which looks like gold (fool's gold).  The most famous was Morenci, my favorite turquoise.  This mine closed years ago and quality stones are virtually unavailable today.  I wore a ring yesterday that may be Kingman which has tiny specks of pyrite.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

I like to learn about jewelry and I'm getting a real education here. Thanks for the info, ladies, and please keep educating me Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I love my Mojave Turquoise; I have pieces in green and in purple.  I like the effect of the copper running through the turquoise.  However it isn't a totally fake stone.  They take real turquoise and pulverize it and add dyes and chalk.  I like it because I can get huge pieces for not a lot of money.  It's no different that cubic zirconia and moissanite.  Shopping channels try make those sound like they have value too.  One of the reasons why I like shopping with Jewelry Television is that they do such a good job of educating customers.  I rather doubt that Jeff or the hosts actually said that Mojave Turq came from the mines just the way it appears.  I'm pretty sure the explained the product and after that it would up to customer to make a decision about it.    

Respected Contributor

Yes, it is a manufactured product.  Paul Deasy explained the process a while ago, i remember. It was given that romantic name for the commercial purposes.