Respected Contributor

Kingman Turquoise - Matrix or No Matrix?

Is Marix OK in Kingman turquoise?   just wondering.

The turq is set in a silver pendant and the two 7x12 mm bezel-set stones are small and stabilized.

the matrix takes up half of the stones and seem a bit much especially since the online example has clear blue stones.

Respected Contributor

Re: Kingman Turquoise - Matrix or No Matrix?

@CatsyCline Whether or not it's "OK" is really up to you.  Does it bother you?  Do you wish it had no matrix?  Some light brown matrix is generally acceptable in Kingman turq, as it generally isn't as clear as Sleeping Beauty.  For me, I'd be most interested in the color; I prefer a really bright blue hue, but others may like the lighter shades.  It's really subjective, so if you don't feel "right" about it, then do yourself a favor and return it!

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

Kingman comes with matrix.  Since it's made by Mother Nature and no two pieces are alike; some will have a lot of matrix, some will have very little matrix.   Kingman can also be  blue, green, greenish blue.  When you buy it, you certainly not assume that what you get will look like the picture.   Kingman turq is not crystal blue and free of matrix like Sleeping Beauty.  You have to decide what you prefer in your turquoise. If you want bright blue with no matrix, Sleeping Beauty is your best bet.    

Honored Contributor

You just never know what you'll get when you order turquoise jewelry online, especially the stuff with matrix. If I see something in turquoise I like then I usually order more than one and send back the one that doesn't look good to me. That's really the only way you can truly compare the pieces offered. Never assume you'll  get one that looks like the picture...not in turquoise anyway.

Honored Contributor

I could write a book on this subject.  If you are a collector of fine turquoise and aspire to own examples of specimens of long-gone or defunct mines, you probably don't own a piece of turquoise without matrix.  Matrix is what gives the stone individuality and character.  The color of the stone and the quality and distribution of the matrix determine the value of the stone.  Collectors of fine turquoise scoff at the thought of owning something like Sleeping Beauty turquoise.  It's used by the Zuni Indians in their petipoint jewelry.  Beyond that, it's only value is to TV shopping channels.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

this is the pendant. the turq in the pic is virtually clear.

these stones shouldnt have the percentage of matrix mine does. i think mine was a return, there were 2 left when i ordered.

i don't know much about turq but this is bugging me. even the design elements are different. i ordered it and had to go out of town so i didnt check it closely until i returned.

Chaco Canyon Oval Kingman Turquoise Etched Feather Pendant

Honored Contributor

@CatsyCline ,

I would return it and get a refund of everything you paid and to ship it back, too. If the design is different than what is pictured then you should get a total refund. 

Honored Contributor

Return it if the design is different, but there's nothing wrong with having a lot of matrix.  To.me, it would be more desirable. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment