Honored Contributor

Re: Is this chrysoprase dyed?

I want the earrings. I love that color.

Chrysoprase and Diamond Lever-Back 14K Gold Earrings - J366892

Trusted Contributor

Hi. I have a pair of chrysoprase earrings (from a gem show many years ago) and the stones are very small but about this color. I love them.

Respected Contributor

From Peyton Kelley's Gems' Facebook Page:

116252700_3450648554979026_686313024356503883_n.jpg

Esteemed Contributor

This green stone looks like Green Jade to me.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Esteemed Contributor

@IMW wrote:

please help. I am seriously considering purchasing 

J366891
Chrysoprase and Diamond 14K Gold Ring

is it "enhanced "?

How is price minus 15% from Ebates.

A sincere thank you, for info.

Chrysoprase is a green variety of chalcedony, a non-crystalline quartz. Colored by tiny inclusions of pimelite, this is a rare example of a green gem whose color arises from nickel. Chromium, which imparts a green hue in emerald, can also create green chalcedony. However, this chrome chalcedony constitutes a distinct gem variety from chrysoprase.

Gemologists describe color using hue, tone, and saturation. For chrysoprase, the primary hue is green, and top-color gems are a bright, apple green.

Secondary hues of yellow or blue may be present. However, secondary yellow hues are undesirable. Top-quality specimens won’t show these. Slight blue hues are more preferable. Some chrysoprase may even be blue-green or aqua in color.

In chrysoprase, medium to medium-dark tones are ideal. This allows for a brightly saturated gem. Lighter tones can appear washed-out, and darker tones never reach the saturation of a medium-toned specimen. Sometimes, darker-toned chrysoprase is referred to as “prase.”

https://www.gemsociety.org/article/chrysoprase-buying-guide/

Esteemed Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@IMW 

There's really nothing wrong or bad about treatments/enhancements. That's standard practice for most all gems these days. It's very rare when you run across gems which are entirely natural/untreated. 

Very true @SilleeMee .  There are some semi precious stones and a few exotics that are never treated.  Peridot (rarely) most garnet colors are not treated; iolite is not treated and spinel and chrome diopside. 

That's a tiny fraction compared to all the other beautiful gems out there that do receive treatment.  I don't mind heat treatment.  I'm concerned about irradiation.

Respected Contributor

Thanks so very much for info. I hadn't realized I already had a smaller chrysoprase ring with 6 tiny diamonds. How ridiculous is that. 

I have way too much jewelry.

Super Contributor

finally some voice of reason. It is clearly stated untreated, and people contionue to speculate, lol.