Esteemed Contributor

@songbird wrote:

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

There are places to purchase gold jewelry at wholesale prices. Depending where you live, you could buy a ticket to NY, shop for jewelry on 47th street (famous for discounted diamonds and all jewelry) and still not pay as much as retail jewelry prices. Jewelry store prices are marked up at least 200%. That's the norm. Some may mark up more. QVC is marked up also.

@Shanus You can't buy wholesale gold from a store front as an average joe.  Jewelers might be able to, but someone like me won't find a wholesale bargain for gold in the Diamond District of NYC.  Furthermore, gold is likely not what drives their business.  Diamonds and other fine gems are.

QVC & other place like JTV get around it by subsituting gold and diamonds with silver and Zircons.  For fine jewelry (precious gems, diamonds & better then 14K) will continue to cost a forturne to produce & sell.

@songbird That is the textbok definition of fine jewelry.  What QVC and JTV are doing is offering "Bridge" jewelry.  It's not "fine and it's not costume."  Yep.

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

@blackhole99 wrote:

Years ago my friends father would go to NYC to the Diamond and Gold Exchange and buy the girls beautiful gold and gem stone bracelets at a deeply discounted price. I don't know if that applies today.

@blackhole99 It does NOT apply today, because of the price of GOLD.  Be weary of anyone selling genuine gold at a discounted price.

*Call Tyrone*
Honored Contributor

Gold is still high but not like it was for a few years..... though you'd never know based on Q's price per gram.  

Honored Contributor

What do you mean by high?

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man