Contributor

I've never purchased 14K over resin jewelry, but I did note that these items are stamped 14K. I imagine the layer of gold is the absolute minimum, while the resin may double the overall weight.

A while ago when the price of gold was through the roof, I sold some older 18K and 14K pieces which were evaluated based on their weight. The idea that one must remember what items in her jewelry box are or are not resin-filled is stupid. Had that been the case with my transactions, I would have felt I was passing along the deception...

Honored Contributor

Probably not. People who buy gold for a living pretty much know what they're seeing and weighing.

I love the resin idea. I save money when I buy, have the look of real gold because the gold is real - and the money I save when I buy the piece makes up for anything I might "earn" later if I want to sell.

Actually, I'm probably way ahead because I sell almost nothing unless it's badly damaged. I love gold, know what I like in jewelry and keep what I buy for years and years. At my age, that would mean what I buy today will be in my jewelry box when I head to the nursing home or beyond. And, the money I saved? I get to choose how to spend that!

Respected Contributor
On 1/24/2014 millieshops said:

Probably not. People who buy gold for a living pretty much know what they're seeing and weighing.

I love the resin idea. I save money when I buy, have the look of real gold because the gold is real - and the money I save when I buy the piece makes up for anything I might "earn" later if I want to sell.

Actually, I'm probably way ahead because I sell almost nothing unless it's badly damaged. I love gold, know what I like in jewelry and keep what I buy for years and years. At my age, that would mean what I buy today will be in my jewelry box when I head to the nursing home or beyond. And, the money I saved? I get to choose how to spend that!

millie: I am with you 110% though I know there are many on this board who will disagree. I buy jewelry that makes me happy and that I love to wear -- thinking about it as an investment rarely crosses my mind. Today I purchased J283884 -- looking forward to receiving them.

Regular Contributor

I wonder how much gold has to be in the piece before it gets the designation 14k.

Esteemed Contributor

I would never buy gold - over resin or silicone. I wouldn't enjoy it. I also prefer 18KT - QVC spoiled me years ago. If I wanted fashion jewelry, I would buy that. Fortunately, I have plenty of great jewelry that I purchased from the Q years ago.

Honored Contributor
On 1/24/2014 evergreen said:

I wonder how much gold has to be in the piece before it gets the designation 14k.

It just has to be 14 parts actual gold to 10 parts alloy, so there is no weight issue.

As for the filled stuff - I am kind on the fence with this. I tend to lean toward it being too misleading to be honest, marking it 14k. If somebody took the piece and weighed it, they would be lead to believe that the item is actually THAT many grams of 14k gold. It actually is not because I would imagine the silicone weighs much more than the gold that surrounds it.

I don't buy these items either. I'd rather pay for something of better quality. One main concern, beside the fact I'd be paying premium money for silicone, is that it gives them license to use gold sheeting that is sooooooo thin it would not be very integrous.

Contributor

If we buy gold over resin, we are telling QVC that it is ok to cut corners. It's unacceptable to me.

Honored Contributor

I think it's deceptive and I believe there should be a different mark designating specifically what the product is. I agree with viwanton, when we purchase it we're supporting the practice.

Nevertheless, each person will inform themselves and "vote" with their money, which is as it should be.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Frequent Contributor

Me, too. I don't want it. The pieces are so pretty but we all know why - the resin underneath supporting the sheeting of gold. What a racket.

Trusted Contributor

I do think there should be different stamp perhaps something like 14ksf = 14k silicone filled.