Honored Contributor

Ever wonder where your diamond might have come from?  This is one of the biggest holes in the world and remarkably, was hand dug.

2016-02-29 16.06.35.png

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

What you say... the mine is closed... another one...?

Woman Wink

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Valued Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

Woman Wink

Too funny!  🙂  @stevieb

Blowing out someone else's candle doesn't make yours brighter.
Valued Contributor

Too bad the price of all diamonds are controlled by one "group" to say it politely. Diamonds aren't rare. They are commonly found. Other gems, like emerald, sapphire, chrome diopside, morganite, opal and kunzite are much more rare. It's only in the US that uses primarily diamonds for engagement and wedding rings. The rest of the world; especially Europe use coloured stones.

If you don't belief me do a bit of Internet searching.  

Honored Contributor

@3cupcakes wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

Woman Wink

Too funny!  🙂  @stevieb

Whatever will we do @3cupcakes... THE MINE IS CLOSED...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

I was surprised to learn that there are diamond mines in far Noth Canada, North of Great Slave Lake.  I suppose they're only in operation a few months a year.  I believe DeBeers is an operator.

I learned this from doing a little research as a result of watching the TV show Ice Lake Rebels.  Who says TV isn't educational?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

A great book on the diamond industry from its origins is "Diamond:  A Journey to the Heart of an Obsession," by Matthew Hart.

Valued Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I was surprised to learn that there are diamond mines in far Noth Canada, North of Great Slave Lake.  I suppose they're only in operation a few months a year.  I believe DeBeers is an operator.

I learned this from doing a little research as a result of watching the TV show Ice Lake Rebels.  Who says TV isn't educational?

DeBeers is THE operator!

Esteemed Contributor

gemspirit, our DD got a beautiful Ruby for her engagement ring.  She & her DH will be celebrating 20 years in August.  I received a beautiful ruby ring on our 40th anniversary.  It will be our 46th wedding anniversary in 14 days.  

Trusted Contributor

Isn't there a place in Alabama or Arkansas that is open for anyone to go dig around and find their own diamonds?  Some are just laying on top of soil.--------tedEbear