Super Contributor

A lot of times I will see a diamonique piece of jewelery that I like and then I notice it says it is 14k clad.  I like all my diamonique jewelery to be 14k solid...not clad!  If I am going to not wear real diamonds at least make the metal the real deal!  Otherwise, I could go to a local retail store and get clad!  Does anyone else feel this way?

Honored Contributor

Re: 14k clad jewelery

[ Edited ]

Using solid 14th gold makes the price prohibitively  expensive for use with a cheap stone.  They used to set some Diamonique in 14th but that was before the price of gold soared.  You might look at Moissenite at Charles & Covard.  It's set in 14k and the stones are gorgeous.  Of course you'll pay for the finer stone and gold.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

I agree, I would rather buy 14k.

Honored Contributor

I am the opposite of the OP  - I appreciate that QVC provides pretty jewelry at prices the average person can afford. If  your buying fake diamonds why are you being particular about the metal being real 14k? I buy earrings and necklaces for the most part and I have no problem with the plating coming off. Perhaps if I were buying rings I would feel differently, as they get banged around more, but for my needs the plated pieces are just fine.

Respected Contributor

This thread prompts me to ask two questions.  Hope you don't mind if I'm hijacking a little, tuffcookie.

Does the 14k gold wear off over time when it's plated onto the piece?  You can only imagine how thin the plating is.  I see the point others made here.  It's a fake jewel, so why pay for 14k gold? 

Also--what about 10K gold?  Does it look any different than 14k?   I've seen items 10k at Kohls and Penneys.  As a senior, I don't feel the need to add higher priced jewelry.  If it looks blingy and not cheap, then that's enough for me.

Super Contributor

The 14k gold diamonique pieces that I have purchased have maintained their luster for several years.  I am willing to compromise and wear diamonique but I am not willing to try clad metals.  I seriously doubt that the clad will stand the test of time like the real thing.  I understand that will increase the price of the item but I would rather have a few good pieces than a whole lot of items that don't look so hot in a few years.

Honored Contributor

@Tuffcookie wrote:

The 14k gold diamonique pieces that I have purchased have maintained their luster for several years.  I am willing to compromise and wear diamonique but I am not willing to try clad metals.  I seriously doubt that the clad will stand the test of time like the real thing.  I understand that will increase the price of the item but I would rather have a few good pieces than a whole lot of items that don't look so hot in a few years.

I have pieces that are several years old but still look perfect. So , yes, the clad does stand the test of time when cared for.My jewelry is off of me and directly into the jewel box, where it is stored individually in separate pouches, so it doesn';t get scratched etc. All my jewelry from fashion to the best, most expensive pieces are  cared for the same.I would guess that if they were not cared for , were thrown into one big pile and dropped and scratched - they would not tolerate that, but then neither would platnium or gold.

Honored Contributor

@Another new name Sue wrote:

This thread prompts me to ask two questions.  Hope you don't mind if I'm hijacking a little, tuffcookie.

Does the 14k gold wear off over time when it's plated onto the piece?  You can only imagine how thin the plating is.  I see the point others made here.  It's a fake jewel, so why pay for 14k gold? 

Also--what about 10K gold?  Does it look any different than 14k?   I've seen items 10k at Kohls and Penneys.  As a senior, I don't feel the need to add higher priced jewelry.  If it looks blingy and not cheap, then that's enough for me.

I have a rosary made with gold filled findings and crucifix and a 10k vintage pendant from the 20s and neither have areas worn off. But I do think it could be an issue on rings possibly? I don't know all my rings are 14k gold or 925 sterling. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Trusted Contributor

I wouldn't buy 14kt clad or Diamonique. They're perfect for people who can't afford real 14 kt gold and real diamonds.

Honored Contributor

@KALLIE wrote:

I wouldn't buy 14kt clad or Diamonique. They're perfect for people who can't afford real 14 kt gold and real diamonds.

When buying trendy pieces , not the classics that will be worn forever, it is foolish to buy real.You are only going to wear them a short while until the trend passes. Not a good investment of my $$$$.