Honored Contributor

Re: I wish Gem Day was still affordable

But you all scream when they show hollow and resin and clad in affordable prices.

You want the real thing, you have to pay for it.

I looked up from my computer at one point and saw a $4500 price and did a doubletake. I wasn't sure what I was watching at first.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Respected Contributor

I agree. It is especially frustrating, because Shop HQ had a gem day recently and it was like the old Q. I got several items, including Morganite stack rings that were around $50 each. They are very nice, too. I don't want to have super valuable gemstone rings for everyday wear.

I really think that the Q lost their much touted 'buying power' within the past few years and cannot get the bargains they used to get and pass along to us.

Esteemed Contributor

I bought a truly gorgeous garnet ring set in heavy 14K gold last year for 600.00 and nearly passed out as I hit the send order button as it was so much $$$, but it looks like a bargain compared to this year!

Fortēs fortūna adjuvat
Honored Contributor

The economy stinks and inflation is robust even though no one is willing to admit it. The middle class is going, going, gone.

Respected Contributor

On 1/8/2015 VaBelle35 said:

But you all scream when they show hollow and resin and clad in affordable prices.

I looked up from my computer at one point and saw a $4500 price and did a doubletake. I wasn't sure what I was watching at first.

Some people want it all and for free.

Respected Contributor

I'm sure a lot of folks out there can afford the gem pieces, but if I were going to purchase a gemstone jewelry item in the thousand dollar range I would probably go to a reputable jeweler in my area, since their prices would be in the same range and I could talk with them in person if there were any issues.

Contributor

The prices are ridiculous! I would NEVER pay $9,500 for a 1.5 carat diamond ring with a color of "H or better" and a clarity of SI 2. Are you kidding me? For almost $10,000 the color should be a D or E. Q is making tons of money.

Respected Contributor

...yeah..yeah...yeah Cry me a river. You could ride a bus for a dime, a cup of coffee costs 25 cents, bread was 40 cents a loaf and a good pair of shoes cost $10....lol That was then, this is now. Get over it.

Esteemed Contributor

On 1/8/2015 sparklestar said:
On 1/8/2015 VaBelle35 said:

Some people want it all and for free.

I don't think that's a fair assessment. People want things for a reasonable price. It depends on each person's means what is "reasonable". Obviously the prices of a lot of things have increased, but Q is also pushing gems that are rare and expensive as well as putting them in combination with diamonds which also pushes up the price points.

Super Contributor

Maybe the Q is going after the 1% of the world's population who own more than 48% of the world's wealth. They obviously have our faces pressed against the glass on this show IMO.