Super Contributor

Re: Help With Gemstone Issue

Thanks for your reply.  I bought the faceted stones NOT the opague Sorry I wasn't clear on that

Esteemed Contributor

@tessam wrote:

Thanks for your reply.  I bought the faceted stones NOT the opague Sorry I wasn't clear on that

Then something is really wrong.  Please keep the earrings until you contact CS explaining this issue.  These type of Faceted stones should never have this happen.

Please let us know how it goes.

Super Contributor

Thanks folks

I did contact the team suggested and will keep you posted

I appreciate your responses.

Esteemed Contributor

I bought a lot of jewelry here decades ago and sold a lot of it at a jewelry store.

I was happy that all my pieces were solid gold, s.s. and the gemstones were good. I had always wondered if I got the real thing.

Valued Contributor

QVC does say that most of their gemstones are "treated" for color. They've said that for years. What that means could be many things. Maybe dyed or irratiated? 

I have a blue topaz ring I bought from QVC perhaps about 25 years ago. It was pricey, set in 14K. I did recently notice that it is much lighter in color than it was when I bought it years ago, and I was very sad. The original bright knock-out blue was muted. I usually leave my rings on when I wash my hands. 

Super Contributor

I did contact the team suggested and they were very responsive.  While they discovered there was no warranty on the item, nor were they able to offered a refund they did acknowledge like we all know that this should never happen.

Live and learn.  Won't order similar items again.

Thanks for your feedback!

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@AuntMame wrote:

QVC does say that most of their gemstones are "treated" for color. They've said that for years. What that means could be many things. Maybe dyed or irratiated? 

I have a blue topaz ring I bought from QVC perhaps about 25 years ago. It was pricey, set in 14K. I did recently notice that it is much lighter in color than it was when I bought it years ago, and I was very sad. The original bright knock-out blue was muted. I usually leave my rings on when I wash my hands. 

If you want gem stones look at Gem Shopping Network.  All gelms are"natural"  They weren't dyed or enhanced other then normal heating.  All gem stones are set in 14K and usually with diamond accents. 

Valued Contributor

I agree here, I would never wash malachite or lapis. 

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@AuntMame wrote:

Topaz loose color over time if exposed to bright light, change of t and chemicals.

I know it is hard, but I try to remove jewelry when cooking. I can't take it off if I am out and wash hands, but I generally prefer not to expose stone to any treatment. Jewelry cleaning solutions are generall safe for most stones, not opaque and pearls.

For kunzite, every seller is saying it will fade if exposed to bright light, not a summer stone type.

Valued Contributor

@alice87 wrote:

@AuntMame wrote:

Topaz loose color over time if exposed to bright light, change of t and chemicals.

I know it is hard, but I try to remove jewelry when cooking. I can't take it off if I am out and wash hands, but I generally prefer not to expose stone to any treatment. Jewelry cleaning solutions are generall safe for most stones, not opaque and pearls.

For kunzite, every seller is saying it will fade if exposed to bright light, not a summer stone type.

I had no idea that topaz can lose color over time under certain conditions. Blue topaz is my fav gemstone. Thank you for telling me this!