Honored Contributor

Re: GIA Report: Rainbow Calsilica

It sounds like this GIA report was done in 2002, I which case Jay and HSN have had access to this information. One theory, which sounds plausible, is that this stuff is the result of dumping excess glaze from the pottery that is made in great quantity in Chihuahua. The problem I have with that is, having dabbled in pot making, usually the glaze is dull colored and not representative of its appearance after a piece is fired. At any rate it seems like HSN is on a slippery slope in selling this stuff. Can you say "class action lawsuit?" I didn't read any reference to TV shopping in what I saw. Violann, can you take and post a picture of your stone?
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Frequent Contributor

when i saw my first piece of rainbow calsilica purchased from cabbing ...

sorry, I tried. Smiley Sad

Super Contributor

Looks like the debate continues. It amazes me that this wasn't settled long ago. I know Jay has addressed this debate during his presentations and said he's had his samples tested by an independent source ... can't remember if he named the group that did the testing. Can anyone think of any other 'gem/stone' that has had a long-lasting debate like rainbow calsilica?

Edited to correct ipad's word choices ... I hate that thing.

Honored Contributor

You can turn it off.
Super Contributor

On 7/6/2014 kachina624 said: It sounds like this GIA report was done in 2002, I which case Jay and HSN have had access to this information. One theory, which sounds plausible, is that this stuff is the result of dumping excess glaze from the pottery that is made in great quantity in Chihuahua. The problem I have with that is, having dabbled in pot making, usually the glaze is dull colored and not representative of its appearance after a piece is fired. At any rate it seems like HSN is on a slippery slope in selling this stuff. Can you say "class action lawsuit?" I didn't read any reference to TV shopping in what I saw. Violann, can you take and post a picture of your stone?

Kachina, the report I posted in the link above is from 5/8/2014.

I haven't a clue how JK gets away with his claims. QVC doesn't sell rainbow calsilica that I'm aware of - although they partner with the GIA.

Super Contributor

I do, but it resets itself. I'm never sure what time it's going to show either. Just part of the fun of having the original one, I guess.
Honored Contributor

Kathy, I don't think I've seen this stuff sold anywhere except HSN. When I heard him discuss it last, he was saying how secret the mine area is and how even he wasn't allowed access. I thought, good heavens, you've got an airplane...go make a low pass over it and see what's there. If I wasn't allowed to see it, I wouldn't stick my neck out and buy it. They're obviously hiding something. It's not like the buying public can't live without it.
Valued Contributor

On 7/6/2014 kachina624 said: Kathy, I don't think I've seen this stuff sold anywhere except HSN. When I heard him discuss it last, he was saying how secret the mine area is and how even he wasn't allowed access. I thought, good heavens, you've got an airplane...go make a low pass over it and see what's there. If I wasn't allowed to see it, I wouldn't stick my neck out and buy it. They're obviously hiding something. It's not like the buying public can't live without it.
Rainbow calsilica is used by some independent jewelry artists. Go to Etsy.com and search for pieces being sold right now. I've seen it during the past ten years online and at juried art/craft shows. Several years ago, I believe the trade magazine "Lapidary Journal" featured an article on whether the material is natural or synthetic. I have a wonderful pendant I bought five years ago at a Memphis fine craft show, and there's a spectacular piece of rainbow cal as the focal stone, flanked by several accent stones. Unlike the majority of the material, which contains stripes of variegated colors, this one has an almost mosaic quality, and is just beautiful. I've been aware of the debate in the industry for years,and it matters not one whit to me what the stones's origins are. In fact, I also own a lovely Fordite pendant from another art jeweler (Fordite is the name of the material gathered from the paint residue in auto factories in Michigan, referred to in earlier posts). I have always loved how some jewelry artists have incorporated non-traditional materials in their work, sometimes combined with expensive natural gemstones and noble metals. I have absolutely no problem with it, but I was aware of what I was buying before I purchased.
Respected Contributor

The last time I looked it up was back in 2008 when someone came in with some from a vacation in Mexico. She wanted a pendant to match her earrings.

Various sites on the internet said either a secret mine that NO one had access to or Hogwash it was man made. It didn't look real to me, but she loved it.

I guess a vendor should tell the public exactly what they are buying. They have to when selling any other stone.

Contributor

Jay has said that there is a man made material out there, but that his is a genuine stone found in Mexico. And I believe he has said that the GIA concluded that the material he sells is genuine. I think the material is unusual and does appear synthetic, but then again, HSN could be in a lot of trouble if they have lied. They have had several Today's Specials recently with rainbow calsilica.