Super Contributor

Re: Couldn't believe this! How do you like it?

On 11/26/2014 GoodStuff said:
On 11/26/2014 Issiestorm said:

I once saw an episode of the old Di ck Van Dyke show where Rob had bought a huge gaudy necklace for Laura. She hated it but couldn't bring herself to hurt him by telling him that, so she pretended to like it. This necklace reminded me of that.

(edited to add: the actor's first name was not allowed so had to separate the letters).

Times change, and so do tastes! When I was younger (back in the D ick van Dyke days), I wore simple, small-scale, classic jewelry. Now I love bold, statement jewelry. Vintage, good costume, and artisan pieces are among my faves. So much workmanship, style, color, and fun!

I like good costume jewelry and artisan pieces too. And I don't think tastes have changed at all! People have always liked that type of bold jewelry. If anything I think it was more popular back then. It's just not for everybody. If you like it and have fun with it, that's great. To each their own.

Super Contributor

Waaay overpriced, goes without saying of course.

I love the look of that type of necklace inside the neckline of a blouse. I'm not into all the sparkle though.

Esteemed Contributor

On 11/29/2014 Hildegarde Withers said:
On 11/26/2014 esmeraldagooch said:

I laughed when I saw this...it looks awful.

I'd wear those two pearls way before that gosh awful necklace that's pictured. That's for sure.

Trusted Contributor

On 11/26/2014 Pagan said:

It's a funny thing. Women buy jewelry to impress other women (yes, they all do) but most women won't like your style.

Similarly, we spend so much time and money decorating our homes and almost no-one else will appreciate it. They'll all think "that's nice for her but it's not my taste".

Other women don't want your jewelry, your clothes or your home.

It's a complete farce when you think about it but it makes us all happy. We're a funny lot!

True, but I must say it's great when you reach the point where you don't give a rat's patoot what others think. I'm in the middle of selling most of the house's interior so I can replace it with American art/craft. Since I entertain so rarely, it's for me alone. So is my jewelry and clothing.
Read it! New England Journal of Medicine—May 21, 2020
Universal Masking in Hospitals in the Covid-19 Era

“We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection.
Trusted Contributor

On 11/26/2014 GoodStuff said:
On 11/26/2014 Issiestorm said:

I once saw an episode of the old Di ck Van Dyke show where Rob had bought a huge gaudy necklace for Laura. She hated it but couldn't bring herself to hurt him by telling him that, so she pretended to like it. This necklace reminded me of that.

(edited to add: the actor's first name was not allowed so had to separate the letters).

Times change, and so do tastes! When I was younger (back in the D ick van Dyke days), I wore simple, small-scale, classic jewelry. Now I love bold, statement jewelry. Vintage, good costume, and artisan pieces are among my faves. So much workmanship, style, color, and fun!

As a former jewelry dealer whose own collection contains over 1,000 pieces and defies description, I'm all for varying tastes. The problem lies with the fact that MOST women don't know how to wear jewelry properly. Statement necklaces tend to wear the woman instead, arm parties hide what could be beautiful pieces, and despite the desire to throw out the rules, they existed for a reason. Stylists are, IMO, one of the worst inspirations for what is stylish. Fashionable, yes, but the words aren't interchangeable.
Read it! New England Journal of Medicine—May 21, 2020
Universal Masking in Hospitals in the Covid-19 Era

“We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection.
Super Contributor

There's bolder pieces, and then there's ... boulder pieces.

Valued Contributor

On 11/25/2014 GoodStuff said:

Actually, this gorgeous statement necklace would go beautifully on a solid sweater -- black, midnight blue, green, red...... I can see it worn beautifully with a sweater and long skirt, slacks, or jeans and maybe boots. Or with lots of other things. It has enough of a rough artisan look to make it wearable and versatile rather than red carpet couture-precious. I really love the piece and must check out Peruvian Connection!

This is the kind of over-the-top bauble I'd throw on with some basic pieces and enter a room with my best "Please make way for my glorious bodaciousness" attitude. Heck. The more I look, the more I love. I might need this for Christmas.......

{#emotions_dlg.wub}

Life is too short for timidity. Bring it on.

I LOVE the one with the blue blazer! I would definitely wear it!

Honored Contributor

On 11/29/2014 Hildegarde Withers said:
On 11/26/2014 esmeraldagooch said:

I laughed when I saw this...it looks awful.

Reminds me of ""swollen glands""!!!!!

Honored Contributor

The necklace in the first post reminds me of a lamp that my grandmother used to have at least 40 years ago. It had a red shade and all these different sizes of crystal briolettes hung down. It gave a tremendous light show when the sun hit it in a certain way. Hadn't thought of that lamp in ages. Nice memory.

"And suddenly you just know it's time to start something new
And trust the magic of Beginnings..."