Super Contributor

Re: Couldn't believe this! How do you like it?

The following is from gurl.com. Guess the way to style statement necklaces just depends on your personality:

My personal favorite way to wear statement necklaces is to pair them with something that is otherwise boring, like a plain dress or a t-shirt and jeans. They’re such an easy way to dress up something simple, and can be worn in so many different ways. But because they make such a, well, statement, these pieces of jewelry can sometimes feel a little intimidating. And that’s why these style tips are here – to give you new ideas you never thought of, or inspiration to come up with your own awesome outfit. Here are 20 style tips on how to wear statement necklaces:

1. Dress up a chambray shirt by pairing with a sparkly necklace (and red lipstick).

Read more: http://www.gurl.com/2014/06/21/style-tips-on-how-to-wear-statement-necklaces-outfit-ideas/#ixzz3KCC...

Some people do drugs. I do shoes....Celine Dion
Super Contributor

I once saw an episode of the old Di ck Van Dyke show where Rob had bought a huge gaudy necklace for Laura. She hated it but couldn't bring herself to hurt him by telling him that, so she pretended to like it. This necklace reminded me of that.

(edited to add: the actor's first name was not allowed so had to separate the letters).

Trusted Contributor

On 11/26/2014 Issiestorm said:

I once saw an episode of the old Di ck Van Dyke show where Rob had bought a huge gaudy necklace for Laura. She hated it but couldn't bring herself to hurt him by telling him that, so she pretended to like it. This necklace reminded me of that.

(edited to add: the actor's first name was not allowed so had to separate the letters).

Times change, and so do tastes! When I was younger (back in the D ick van Dyke days), I wore simple, small-scale, classic jewelry. Now I love bold, statement jewelry. Vintage, good costume, and artisan pieces are among my faves. So much workmanship, style, color, and fun!

Esteemed Contributor

That's too much bling for my taste. I don't mind statement pieces but I have limits on just how loud they those statements are.
Honored Contributor

I know it's "in," but too gaudy for me. I like quiet jewelry (and real).

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Valued Contributor

I'd wear it with jeans too. It's needs to be contrasted with casual clothes. That's the fun of it.

Ive bought a few Peruvian Connection jewelry pieces over the years and although they're all great, they've all been overpriced.

Not much different to Anthro though, I suppose.

Honored Contributor

more more more

Respected Contributor

On 11/26/2014 GoodStuff said:
On 11/26/2014 FastDogWalker2 said:

GoodStuff - I love how you styled a similar necklace! I would love it on someone else - I'm too "timid" to wear it myself!

Thanks for the affirmation! However I can't take credit for "styling it" -- just pasted some photos of what I thought were examples of attractive styling with similar jewelry pieces. I wish I were as young and trim as any of the ladies whose picture I posted!

Yeah, me too!

Trusted Contributor

I ordered a necklace in that style from Amazon. It was under $20, I think, but nicely made for that price. It's a combination of different size and shape clear crystals in an interesting design. It's on a much smaller scale, maybe 1/4 to 1/3 the size of the stones in the ones pictured.

I knew it was the style and thought it would be fun to wear with casual clothing, like a blue denim shirt or a black cotton top and jeans, or something like that.

I have yet to wear it, and I've had it for well over 6 months. Maybe I'll dig it out for Thanksgiving tomorrow.

I try to keep abreast of what's new and fun out there, then I end up wearing the same old thing over and over again.

Valued Contributor

It's a funny thing. Women buy jewelry to impress other women (yes, they all do) but most women won't like your style.

Similarly, we spend so much time and money decorating our homes and almost no-one else will appreciate it. They'll all think "that's nice for her but it's not my taste".

Other women don't want your jewelry, your clothes or your home.

It's a complete farce when you think about it but it makes us all happy. We're a funny lot!