Respected Contributor

Check 14k Gold With A Magnet?

Last year I sold some gold to a place and they ran a magnet over each piece!  One stuck that I got at a national store.  I took it back to the store and they gave me a store credit but they still sell that same chain which is marked 14k!

Have any of you tried this with your gold jewelry?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Check 14k Gold With A Magnet?

Question??? .... if the magnet sticks does that mean the item is not 14k gold? .... good to know!!   Thanks

Respected Contributor

Yes!  I should have written that.  It means that the jewelry is a "base medal" not gold.

I did find some of my clasps stuck but I think that is because of the lobster clasp tension bar inside of the gold cover of the clasp.  Same with C-ring clasps.

Hope everyone has the real deal Woman Happy

Valued Contributor

@Jackhound Mom

Thank you for posting. I've wondered about the gold content in Eterna Gold jewelry. Have you checked your Eterna Gold with a magnet?

Respected Contributor

Hi,

Yes, EternaGold does not stick and is 14k as I have had past pieces tested beyond the magnet test.  Mine also never looked tarnished or even dirty unlike some other 14k.

Hope this helps,

Cathy

Honored Contributor

Don't assume you have a piece of gold just because the magnet won't stick. Silver plated with gold won't stick either.  Start with a K mark. 

Respected Contributor

Hi Dep,

I'm just writing this because a famous gold & silver exchange in Tucson did the magnet test on some of my jewelry I was selling that was hallmarked "14k."  I wouldn't think a magnet would help determine anything about sterling but good point.

The figero chain that I returned to the store was still one of their staples and they still have that same chain in the cases.  I have never been bold enough to ask to see one and then whip out a magnet to check if it stuck or not, but I would never buy anything "gold" there again.

Thanks for writing,

Cat

Honored Contributor

@January121 wrote:

Question??? .... if the magnet sticks does that mean the item is not 14k gold? .... good to know!!   Thanks

Silver reacts the same way.  So does platinum.