Trusted Contributor

Re: Carolyn Pollack is semi-retiring, QVC taking over the line

I am happy for them, of course, but I feel selfish feelings about not having AW items made in Albuquerque and only having both on the Q occasionally. It's been bad enough the last few years that the Q has limited their shows. 

I love all her jewelry iterations from Relios, Sincerely Southwest, to American West. I went to their website and it is pretty picked over. My favorite stones are blue turquoise, denim lapis, and rhodonite. I bought two enhancers on Amazon. Maybe I can find a few "oldie but goodies" on ebay, but some people price their pieces too high!

Esteemed Contributor

I've been buying her pieces selectively for 16 years. I bought some on QVC but also at her two stores, EBay, and online.  I usually got very good prices so I don't feel the need to buy anymore. I'm sure I'll enjoy what I have for many years; buying it after Q buys the brand and its made who knows where isn't an option.

Esteemed Contributor

Glad that I have a nice collection already as I most likely won't buy anything going forward. I'm happy for Carolyn and her husband being able to retire, but sad that the manufacturing is being shut down.

QVC hasn't done a stellar job with these sort of things.  We have a bunch of same old same old because of this.

Honored Contributor

I need to move around the Q community a bit more and visit 'other neighborhoods'.  I've been visiting just a couple of areas and just found out today about Carolyn and Bill retiring.  I had a simple pair of silver AW earrings on wishlist and of course they sold out after the announcement here.  I checked the AW site and Amazon and don't see anything ringing my bell right now.

I have pieces from when the line was called Sincerely Southwest and I'm so glad that I bought the pieces that I did over the years.

In my opinion, the merciful thing would have been to shut it down permanently.  If the Q takes over the line will pale in comparison because Q won't be able to help itself. They'll ruin it.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

I've placed 3 orders so far and am happy with everything I got (all at 80% off).

@Bird mama - It might be worth checking back now and then.  The latest order I placed was things that weren't even shown to begin with.

I still get emails from them and check each day to see what, if anything has been added.  The sitewide discount now is 70%, but other things are 80%.

Valued Contributor

@Bird mama wrote:

I need to move around the Q community a bit more and visit 'other neighborhoods'.  I've been visiting just a couple of areas and just found out today about Carolyn and Bill retiring.  I had a simple pair of silver AW earrings on wishlist and of course they sold out after the announcement here.  I checked the AW site and Amazon and don't see anything ringing my bell right now.

I have pieces from when the line was called Sincerely Southwest and I'm so glad that I bought the pieces that I did over the years.

In my opinion, the merciful thing would have been to shut it down permanently.  If the Q takes over the line will pale in comparison because Q won't be able to help itself. They'll ruin it.

They were probably unable to find a buyer for the company, since running a profitable jewelry business is so hard these days with the high cost of metals and the trend for minimalistic jewelry. Several of my fav jewelry makers and designers went out of business at the end of the pandemic. Retired or just took down the shingle due to rising materials prices and low sales. 

Q probably offered them a lisencing fee for the name, plus a promise of a few years of consulting fees. And who can pass up a little extra income in retirement? No, I don't blame them for selling the name to Q. 

I have been finding new things popping up for sale on their web site or on Amazon every few days, so keep checking. Many things are now 80 percent off on their web site. They said in their video that they are shutting down retail sales on the web site some time in May. Prices may drop even lower to clear out inventory. 

Valued Contributor

I got a strange email from them Friday.It asked for my review on a bracelet I bought offering me a 50% off coupon for doing so. Huh? Things are 70-80 % off and all items are selling out. I think it may have been a rogue email or some kind of spam. 

Honored Contributor

@Estates - No, it's not a rogue email.  I had a similar thing.  I think it's just that they haven't taken the time yet to update their mailing system.

It's the same, when you go on the website -  a pop-up suggests you sign up for their emails to be kept informed of sales and such!  Well, ummm...no, you're closing down the business.

I think once they shut down for good, everything will stop.