Honored Contributor

Re: Am I the only person turned off by electroform?

[ Edited ]

@SahmIam As I tried to explain earlier, there is nothing in this bracelet but silver.  This is not made with a resin core covered by silver.  It is quite weighty.  You can Google the lost wax process.  Simply put, silver ions are attached electrostátically to a wax form until its as thick as desired then its heated and the wax drains out (see the plugged holes).  If it was melted there'd be nothing but silver and it's usually 98% pure.   It is not electroplated

You're right the rings can't be sized. 

I'm lucky, this bracelet fits me perfectly and doesn't fall off. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@esmeraldagooch, this is how my 18k cross pendant I posted pic in an earlier post is made. I've had it for many years and it still looks the same as when I bought it. 

Honored Contributor

@dooBdoo wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@BirkiLady wrote:

Back in the day, I loved RLM's jewelry for his solid sterling designs. Today? Won't touch it. Wouldn't touch the electroform stuff either. Saddened to hear a piece may be copied from RLM's luscious designs. His artwork was stunning! Haven't even looked in recent years due to the bronze nonsense and cheapened quality. I'll gladly buy elsewhere and get the real deal.

Kachina624 ~ Yes, we do know "real deal" is SOLID sterling silver; not a wax filled piece of junk covered with a thin layer of silver! Perhaps you don't have a clue what we are talking about? Electroform is not like any other sterling silver. SMH 

@BirkiLady It's .925, but is usually 98% silver with a hollow core.  Mine is solid and weighty.  There's no way I could dent or bend it.  It's as substantial as any solid piece.  There's an Or Paz cuff that looks like many strands wound together.  People criticize it because it absolutely cannot be bent or adjusted, not even a tiny bit. 

Do you have any?   I think you may be confusing electroform with another process.  Reference the "lost wax process".   You'll find a tiny hole or plug on each piece where the wax was drained out. 

@Kachina624,  All of the lost wax castings I ever did, or assisted with, created solid gold or sterling pieces.   The wax model, with sprues, is used to create an investment or plaster mold with channels.    The wax burns out of the channels, and then when you cast the piece the molten metal is poured (or introduced with a centrifuge or vaccum casting machine) into the cavity where the wax model used to be.    The finished product is solid.

@dooBdoo. But....any large pieces are too heavy (particularly pendants and earrings). Solid silver jewelry that has a large, substantial look, is most likely hollow construction or done using the electroform method. The Sebbag pieces shown would be 10 times the price if solid silver and for example, the barrel shaped slide on beads/pearls would be too weighty to be comfortable. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Shanus wrote:

dooBdoo wrote:

Kachina624 wrote:

BirkiLady wrote:

Back in the day, I loved RLM's jewelry for his solid sterling designs. Today? Won't touch it. Wouldn't touch the electroform stuff either. Saddened to hear a piece may be copied from RLM's luscious designs. His artwork was stunning! Haven't even looked in recent years due to the bronze nonsense and cheapened quality. I'll gladly buy elsewhere and get the real deal.
Kachina624 ~ Yes, we do know "real deal" is SOLID sterling silver; not a wax filled piece of junk covered with a thin layer of silver! Perhaps you don't have a clue what we are talking about? Electroform is not like any other sterling silver. SMH 

@BirkiLady It's .925, but is usually 98% silver with a hollow core.  Mine is solid and weighty.  There's no way I could dent or bend it.  It's as substantial as any solid piece.  There's an Or Paz cuff that looks like many strands wound together.  People criticize it because it absolutely cannot be bent or adjusted, not even a tiny bit. 

Do you have any?   I think you may be confusing electroform with another process.  Reference the "lost wax process".   You'll find a tiny hole or plug on each piece where the wax was drained out. 

@Kachina624,  All of the lost wax castings I ever did, or assisted with, created solid gold or sterling pieces.   The wax model, with sprues, is used to create an investment or plaster mold with channels.    The wax burns out of the channels, and then when you cast the piece the molten metal is poured (or introduced with a centrifuge or vaccum casting machine) into the cavity where the wax model used to be.    The finished product is solid.

@dooBdoo. But....any large pieces are too heavy (particularly pendants and earrings). Solid silver jewelry that has a large, substantial look, is most likely hollow construction or done using the electroform method. The Sebbag pieces shown would be 10 times the price if solid silver and for example, the barrel shaped slide on beads/pearls would be too weighty to be comfortable. 

Hi, @Shanus!    That's correct.   You and I know that, from experience making jewelry.    My comment was an explanation and description of the actual lost wax process, which creates a solid finished product, and it was not a statement that it's always the best method to use.   I fully appreciate the reason for using the electroform process or other construction, fabrication, etc., particularly for creating items with a large visual presence but a more practical weight.     This is a great thread!   An interesting discussion.   YouTube is a helpful resource, by the way, to get a better idea of these processes -- I think a picture/demo truly can be "worth a thousand words" in many cases.   Nice to see you, Shanus!   I hope you and yours are well.   Have a safe, peaceful weekend, everyone!image.gif

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

@dooBdoo. Nice having another jeweler on the forum!! Have a great weekend & stay safe!!