Honored Contributor

Re: repairs needed live alone

I understand you apprehension. 

My mom is a widow and has been since 1979. My dad died when I was 18 and while my mom is the strongest person I know, she had let dad handle all the finances and decisions. She had a lot to learn and fast. 

I made sure as a young adult I made as many decisions and choices as I could for myself, and I have continued that through marriage. I am the one that handles all the finances, makes all the calls and schedules contractors, and while husband is here, I really have to be the voice of reason is deciding who is right for the jobs. I now try to help mom with those things as well. 

My advice to you would be don't let cost of a contractor be the deciding point. If you have used people successfully in the past, try to afford to use them again, even if you can only do some things and let less necessary things go till later. You can throw good money after bad, just trying to save a few dollars on contractors and service people. 

If you have to look for new service providers, ask around a lot, be sure they not only 'say' they are properly licensed and bonded, and insured and covered by worker's comp, ask for copies of their policies and licenses. I've even gone so far as to make copies of those things, and call the insurance companies to verify they are legit.

If you can have anyone around when service people are coming, it is best to do it. You can maybe even make it look like someone is there with you, like having a pair of men's work books on the front stoop when they arrive, and a tv or radio going in another room and saying you have a daytime sleeper who works nights, so could they please stay clear of such and such back bedroom.

Don't tell contractors who are quoting or working that you are alone. Don't seem confused, but ask lots of questions about their materials, the processes, and the options you might have with the project (there are often several options for something and they can cost quite different). Try to look like you are in control and comfortable with the process, like you have done it a lot. Looking vulnerable, unsure, or overwhelmed will only make the prices increase. 

My mom found a plumbing and heating company that has women service people. That might be an option too. Ask around to see if anyone you know has run across a female in the field you know. That might make you feel a little better while they are in the home (as long as they are legit and good at what they do as well as being female!).

Good luck. This will get easier, the more of it you have to do. 

Honored Contributor

@lilypadfrog wrote:

Pattiewaddle, I live alone too and my paranoia about having strangers in my home knows no bounds.  I looked at Homeadvisor but didnt like the fact that they gave my name, address, phone to repairmen before I could decide who to hire.  I would get 3 or 4 calls from people before I had a chance to even look at reviews. I used to belong to Angies List but I just dont trust them anymore.   So, I added the Nextdoor app on my tablet.  Yes, its gossipy, full of lost cats, but there is a spot for your neighbors recommendations of repairmen.  I found a handyman through this app about 2 years ago.  He lives less than a mile from me and has stopped by to change filters or lightbulbs I cant reach for no charge since he says he can just stop on his way home.  He has also done tile work, painted, hung up ceiling fans and updated my shower etc.  So check out Nextdoor.

NOt a fan of Home Advisor type things either. 

I was kind of shocked I had to provide all the information, but I did, and got calls from cut rate contractors I'd already interviewed and crossed off my list. 

I don't know what people see in this service, maybe if you have no clue, but honestly I found it less useful than the old fashioned phone book, because they do give your information out to these contractors who then call you to set up an appointment, and again, many were people I'd ruled out as unacceptable after a visit and quote. I don't really trust that services judgement in who they have on their 'lists'.

Respected Contributor

I personally tried to use HomeAdvisor but had a hard time getting someone to call me back.  I hired someone to do a complete landscaping job for me but he "fired" me when I asked for more details that cost more $$$.  Good for me. I found instead a firefighter and his dad who is now my "go to" guy for all things house.  Firemen only work a 24 hour period and then have 2 days off, so they also have other "jobs" that they do.  It has been a godsend for me.  I have had painters, tree pruners, stump grinders, insulation installers, outdoor lights replaced, gutters cleaned, all at reasonable prices.  The biggest thing is that I trust them.  Good luck.

Honored Contributor

@pattiewaddle- I haven't read all the answers, but I know a couple of posters have made this point about HomeAdvisor.

My sister-in-law needed the walls in her home cleaned prior to selling.  She looked for someone on HomeAdvisor and hired a woman to do the work.

The woman showed up, with a bucket and some cleaner and proceeded to start soaking the walls, soapy water dripping all over my SIL's hardwork floors until my SIL had to tell her to stop and ask her what on earth she was doing.

It was clear, the woman had no idea how to clean properly.  My SIL told her she'd have to leave and she insisted that she be paid for a minimum of two hours' work (she'd only been there 20 minutes and had already made a huge mess).

My SIL paid her and then spent an hour cleaning up her floors and walls.  She made a complaint to HomeAdvisor but received no response.  

Then we saw a report on one of the national channels that HomeAdvisor does NOT vet the people they recommend.  I'd stay well clear of them.

Honored Contributor

You must know some people; neighbors, friends, local shopkeepers, church friends.  Ask the people you know for references.  Everyone who owns a home has had work done at some time, if they haven't then someone they know has.  But, I have to say COST shouldn't be your deciding factor.  When it comes to work on your home, you get what you pay for.  If you have an Elder Affairs office in your town, they will be able to make recommendations.  

Honored Contributor

@pattiewaddle.  I agree with the Nextdoor site. I don't use that one but use a similar one on Facebook that was created by someone in my small town. Everyone goes there for recommendations on everything like handymen,Doctors, school programs, curb alert items and so much more. And the handymen, plumbers, electricians etc all live in the immediate area.

I wouldn't use Home Advisor either.

Trusted Contributor

check with your local aging services.  they may have a program that will help you.