Valued Contributor

I have a dilemma and maybe someone can help. When I bought this house unfortunately for me I wasn’t aware the dryer was not vented to the outside. This is a new area for me and have asked and actually had a repair person give me an estimate but he never showed up. To get a professional would I call a plumber or who’s area of work does this?

right now it is vented to garage after I contacted builder but it’s not working for me. Odd question but maybe some suggestions. 

Honored Contributor

I would think that you need a handyman.It isn’t about plumbing or wiring so I think that you need someone who can run the vent to an outside wall.My sons dryer vents into his attic and there is a fan to draw it up and out.

Honored Contributor

Maybe the distance from your dryer to the outside is too great for that type of vent.There are codes about that.

Honored Contributor

Look for a reputable handyman.  There is no plumbing required so no plumber needed.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Super Contributor

Why not call a plumber or an HVAC company and ask them if they do this sort of work, and if not, could they recommend someone?  If for some reason you want to use a ventless dryer, I can recommend the one I finally settled on.  It is the new Miele heat pump dryer.  It's expensive, but if this is the way you end up going I can tell you it beats the condensation dryers.  It is worth having a vented dryer though because they do dry more thoroughly than the ventless models.

Honored Contributor

Re: Dryer vent question

[ Edited ]

My dryer was, at one time, vented out to my garage. I found someone on HomeAdvisor dot com to change it. Plumbers don't do this kind of work. Usually a person familiar with duct work would know about that job, most likely a HVAC pro.

The person who did mine is a general contractor. He does everything that involves home construction and repairs.

My dryer vent now goes into another wall, different from the one adjacent to the garage, and then the dryer vent duct hose travels straight up about 8 ft then goes horizontal for about 10 feet where it is vented to the outside. There was a slight problem getting the hose to go from vertical to horizontal...at that place in the wall there is a 45 degree angle placed in the drywall to accommodate the curve in the hose otherwise it would have gotten crimped right there.

Respected Contributor

I too would first call an HVAC company. They install all kinds of vents for furnaces so I would think they could also do a dryer vent. 

Honored Contributor

Our washer and dryer are in the garage and the dryer vent doesn’t go outside. 

They are hooked up the same as my parents had them.

Esteemed Contributor

We have an older home and have this situation. There is a kit that you can purchase at Home Depot/Lowes called a vent bucket. Flexible hose from your dryer is connected from your dryer to the bucket that you fill with water. It works well. Do you have a window in that room? If so, that would be a plus in the warmer months. The vent bucket works fine.  You can also have an exhaust fan put in but all the construction in a foundation wall is so  costly and always worries me.   

Frequent Contributor

I don't think you just want it just "fixed". You need to have it repaired in a way that you won't have problems with it in the future!! I don't ever like to just put a bandaid on something. I've had success with Angie's List or if you know a reputable person in your neighborhood, as them for a recommendation.  You really want this fixed/repaired permanently to prevent problems later.