Trusted Contributor

Re: repairs needed live alone

@pattiewaddle  I also suggest you join Nextdoor.com.(Free)  I also live alone and I understand your concerns.  Neighbors are a great source for getting the best repair people.  Also at Nextdoor.com it's not just people who live close to you but surrounding areas also.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I learned of a local handyman through word of mouth at my exercise class. He is very nice and his prices are fair. He has replaced my smoke detectors, installed a tub/shower grab bar, painted front door, done trimming of shrubs and a tree, done landscaping, repaired a squeaky door, got rid of an old dehumidifier for me, and oiled my garage door opener. I'm so glad I found someone who is honest and reliable. He really loves what he does and is very neat. 

Trusted Contributor

I am in your same boat. I needed a roof replaced and new bathroom. I asked my local lumber store for suggestions.  I wouldn't recommend Home Advisor. I was referred to 2 of their recommendations and they were way higher than the person I contracted with. 

The advice of nextdoor.com is also very helpful.

Esteemed Contributor

Same boat here. I have 2 sons and one is my IT go to person but as far as repair stuff goes, pffft, just no talent in that area. The other son works almost 7 days a week and has his own home to tend to so I only ask when I 100% need to. Seems every other week it's something, WITHOUT FAIL. Something falls apart, falls down, stops working, leaks, peels, squeeks, craps out......whatever.  I'd move to a condo but the thought of what it would involve gives me more anxiety than having to deal with the constant needing of some fixing of something.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@pattiewaddle

I'm alone as well. For the last year, I made a list of things that needed repair. I'm on nextdoor dot com and asked my neighbors to recommend a handyman. One woman recommended Daniel and I called him and he came over and gave me an estimate. A couple of weeks ago he came over with his brother. Daniel is also a licensed contractor. 

He unclogged my stall shower, unclogged one sink in master bath; cleaned out all the sinks and tubs in my house; removed and replaced 2 furnace filters; oiled my garage door (I thought I needed a new door); polished all my faucets; caulked downstairs tub and kitchen sink (and grouted the tile counter around the kitchen sink); fixed the right handle on large oval bathtub which was dripping (a plumber messed it up last year); he cleaned all the vents in my house - and vacuumed the large open area above each one; adjusted the latch on my master bedroom door (never closed properly).

Several months ago, I had him paint my upstairs bedroom/bath. So when it was time to pay for this job, he reduced his price by $85. as I've gotten him customers on nextdoor. He charged me half of what I expected - and he and his brother were AMAZING!!!! I posted this information on nextdoor and got him several more customers.

I like this site as these are all people in my community - and the neighbors recommending service people - have already used them. If ur not on nextdoor - I highly recommend it. It's been a lifesaver for me (literally). Two years ago, I was in a lot of pain with diverticulitis and my doctor wrote a prescription to be picked up at Walmart. I wasn't able to leave my house and I posted my need on nextdoor --- and 5 minutes later, a woman living on the next block came over - and picked up my prescription. Several other people also offered.

If this doesn't work for u, check out Yelp. I've found several very good service people on there. Read the reviews!!!!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@lolakimono

A neighbor called Home advisor since she had a few sprinklers that needed to be cleaned out. She doesn't have sprinklers in her backyard - and the guy charged her $200 (exhorbitant). I guess the worker has to pay them.

Super Contributor

Pattiewaddle, I live alone too and my paranoia about having strangers in my home knows no bounds.  I looked at Homeadvisor but didnt like the fact that they gave my name, address, phone to repairmen before I could decide who to hire.  I would get 3 or 4 calls from people before I had a chance to even look at reviews. I used to belong to Angies List but I just dont trust them anymore.   So, I added the Nextdoor app on my tablet.  Yes, its gossipy, full of lost cats, but there is a spot for your neighbors recommendations of repairmen.  I found a handyman through this app about 2 years ago.  He lives less than a mile from me and has stopped by to change filters or lightbulbs I cant reach for no charge since he says he can just stop on his way home.  He has also done tile work, painted, hung up ceiling fans and updated my shower etc.  So check out Nextdoor.

Honored Contributor

Luckily, we get a small town newspaper that serves a city of 5000 people. There are ads for handymen and painters that I've used. In a small town, everybody knows each other, so elderly people are not as likely to get "taken" because bad entrepreneurs are weeded out quickly.

Honored Contributor

I'm in the same situation too.  My DH could do everything.  I have no sons, brothers, etc.  I have learned to do a few easy (and safe) things, but I rely a lot on a local yahoo site where people in the neighborhood ask about finding a painter, etc. and others recommend who they have used.  That works out well.  Also have a friend in the neighborhood that is alone too and we share information of people/services we have used and if they are good.  It's not easy, but once you find someone (especially a general handyman) it will make you at ease.   I did try one of the sites where they find someone for you.  A guy came out the same day, but I wasn't impressed and felt the price he quoted was way too high.

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

I used Angie's list. I would recommend reading reviews and contacting them via email to ask if they are available and if they provide the services you need. I would also recommend getting multiple estimates to do the work. I had to find someone to trim the trees in my yard earlier this year and you wouldn't believe how very different the estimates were for the same work.