Respected Contributor

has anyone tried opal apples? bought them last week on sale for 1.99. we just ate some and they are soooo good. never saw these apples before.

Respected Contributor

@Pooky1

Are they crisp and sweet ? I always bought red delish. And so many have been kind of flavorless, kind of mushy, and not sweet like they used to be.

Respected Contributor

yes there are nice and sweet and crunchy. i dont like a mushy tastless apple.my wife took a bite and looked at me and said wow thats a really good tasting apple.

Valued Contributor

Our local Sprouts had them right around Thanksgiving. The Produce man cut one up and gave a piece to some of us and it was delicious, so I bought some. Tasted a lot like a very crunchy Golden Delicious. Haven't seen them since though!

Honored Contributor

Yes!  They are lovely.   The season seems to be quite short but my favorite grocery store will have them.   I'm hoping to grab some before they are gone again, as I haven't had any since last year.

Trusted Contributor

Yes - they are delicious! I used them in an apple almond cake for Christmas dessert, and they are very good for baking too.

This is a wonderful and easy recipe if you love almonds:

http://www.davidlebovitz.com/apfel-marzipan-kuchen-german-apple-almond-cake-recipe/

Respected Contributor

Found them at Walmart yesterday and bought a few. Wow...are they sweet!  So delicious.They are golden yellow and are a Golden Delicious crossed with a Topaz apple. We all thought that they almost taste like a pear. I read online that these apples are so new that they are still known by their experimental number (UEB32642). They are non-GMO and resist oxidation, so they are less likely to brown once you cut into them.

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli