Respected Contributor

Now is a good time to buy big sales. My daughter finally got a townhouse 1yr ago but lived in apt. She got Ikea bed (don't do that) I told her you got to spend money for good mattress. Well, I told her 2 weeks ago go to mattress store & get one I will pay for it. Mattress Firm and so lucky the salesman was a retired chiropractor. She thought she needed firm, he said how do you sleep (on her side sometimes stomach) he said firm is for people that sleep on their back you need medium or medium firm. She has it now about 1 week & thanks me all the time. You really got to try it out & a mattress store knows more than a furniture store selling mattresses. Her old Ikea ******, back hurt & never got a good sleep. 

Respected Contributor

kivah, yes saleman told my daughter she has 3 months & can take it back with a small charge to pick it up. 

Respected Contributor

I wonder what happens with the mattresses that people try out and send them back

Honored Contributor

@chihuahuamomwrote:

When I say "box", I mean the kind that comes in a roll and you just unwrap it and it settles out.  Thanks for all your advice-I will think about what you said.  My plan is to buy an iron style bed (my bed has also fallen apart) and think I will need a mattress and box spring.  I have read things about mattresses and the more I read, the more confused I get.  But thanks-you've helped me.

@chihuahuamomWhen you say an "iron style bed", Do you mean the headboard or the base?  Again, here's what we did.  We purchased what is typically known as a "smart base" (I can make a recommendation there, too, if you need one) which is the platform the mattress sits on rather than a box spring.  FYI, you will not be able to purchase a compressed "box mattress" and box spring as a set.  They don't sell them that way as the mattresses are intended to be used on a platform.  The only time you would use it with a box spring is if you already had one and were planning to use a traditional bed frame with the rails.  Anyway, when we bought our mattress and smart base, we also purchased a new metal headboard.  There are special brackets (on Amazon) for fastening the metal headboard to the base.  It's not complicated, but the brackets are a must to make it happen.  

Again, any questions, let me know.

Honored Contributor

@tobeswrote:

I wonder what happens with the mattresses that people try out and send them back

@tobes.  They are supposed to be destroyed by law.

Honored Contributor

I bought a box mattress 2 years ago from a company called Helix. Made in NYC. Cost me $850 for a full size. And it is WONDERFUL!!!!  It was made specifically for me and my body. It is a foam mattress. Doesn't need any box springs; can be put on the floor or on slats, like I have. You just need a piece of plywood if it is  off the floor. I slept great from the first night. Has a 10 year guarantee. No funky smell either, am very happy with it. My sheets fit just fine too. Doesn't make any noise and lays very flat all the time. They also have a payment plan too. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Jlkz     VERY sage advice.

@chihuahuamom,  I would only add, use the camera on your phone to help you recall and later do a little research on any mattress you're considering. Snap a pix of the mattress tag showing make and model, the sales rep's business card, and a bit of the pattern on the ticking.

Taking a buddy is always good. Two sets of eyes and ears, and help remembering who said what and where you saw something.

Valued Contributor

Both of my adult sons have purchased the "box" mattresses and neither has like them.  

I bought a Serta firm mattress from QVC for my daughter and she was really happy with it.  She said it was the most comfortable mattress she has ever slept on.  I would not recommend buying  one on line, but this time I was very lucky.  

Honored Contributor

@tobeswrote:

@tobes

It depends on the state &/or how long the original customer has had it in their home

Some states have no rules so anything goes.

Honored Contributor

tobes---they are usually donated to shelters---a tax ride off