Super Contributor

Is it time to downsize large trees to something smaller for Christmas?

small tree.jpg

Regular Contributor

Re: going small for Christmas?

Nope.Owned smaller homes and just purchased a huge space and have the opt to have a larger tree. Already purchased and tested- and I am going big before I return to my true home 

Respected Contributor

I actually love the way that one looks and that whole idea.

At this point in time (though I don't even think about it until after Thanksgiving)...but...as of now...I'm SO not in the mood to dig everything out and put it all up again. Got a new full size, pre-lit tree with 9 light settings in 2020, and enjoyed putting it up the last 2 years. Also put up a little one (already lit and decorated, came with ornaments & lights; was my mom's), in my bedroom, and sometimes my other table top tree also.

Not sure I feel like putting up the big tree this year. Not sure how I'll feel after Thanksgiving tho'...I've been known to say this before and then when the times come, did a complete 180!

But I'm really feeling like I want to simplify and not unpack it ALL and pack it all back up again this year.

I will put out seasonal decor, but may not want the whole shabang! We shall see...when the time comes. To me that's not until last week of Nov or early Dec!

Honored Contributor

@bigLou   That's what I am doing this year. A  3 or 4 ft. tree decorated similar to the one you posted.  Very cute, by the way!

We are seniors and with our kids and grandkids all raised it's not as much fun as when I had someone to do it with. I can always put lights on a buffet or cupboard if I miss them too much.  Thanks for the post. 

Honored Contributor

I downsized a few years ago, I still decorate, but just on a smaller scale. Do what make you happy and what you can handle.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

Yes--I have to scale down to just the bare minimum as i live in a small apartment with my DD--we have a 24" fake tree that has lights and we decorate in with tiny candy canes and tiny ornaments. there is a generous mantle that I can do more on, and I have wreaths on the walls to decorate too. Looks very xmas-y . got hand made stockings  last year , so that is what we fill for each other.

Esteemed Contributor

Only you can answer that but I think that size tree is fine and the picture is adorable.  I don't actually put up a tree except for a small decorative one that goes on my entertainment center.  I'm not sure I even decorated with it last year.  

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

Reached this point many years ago; some years no inside tree period.  

Honored Contributor

I sized down to smaller and smaller trees, then downsized to no tree.  I live alone, no one sees the house but me and I just didn't want to be bothered anymore.  If I get in the mood, I may decorate the fireplace mantle.  I'll definitely put a wreath on the door.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

My main tree will still be full size but that is adorable for our sunroom. I love the sled idea.