Honored Contributor

Re: going small for Christmas?

@bigLou :Last three years.20211224_074506.jpg

Valued Contributor

The tree is a cute option . I am keeping my full size tree . I've been collecting Hallmark ornaments for many ,many years . So many memories of each of the years I bought them   ; or who gave them to me . Some have passed , and have an ornament representing them .

Respected Contributor

Though I don't get a tree, I've always liked the Charlie Brown ones.Heart

Respected Contributor

No way I could ever balance a small tree  like that on that sled! We have a 12 tree for our LR and Iove it. For Christmas decorating, it is all about the tree for me. I put out a few other things, but the tree is everything for me.

Trusted Contributor

I purchased this little guy on Amazon last year.  Only 3 ft tall and I put it on an end table next to the couch.  Perfect fit, easy to manage, lots of lights on it, and just adorable with only my most treasured ornaments on it.  I paid $60 for it last year.  This year it's listed for $85.

71BsxKv7mpL._AC_SY879_.jpg

Honored Contributor

I will always have a tree and will hire someone to put it together if I have to.

Honored Contributor

@bigLou   That tree is my style.  I never liked decorating a big tree so I gave up years ago.  I decorate the fireplace mantel and hearth...and other spots around the house.

To put up a big tree I had to rearrange the furniture and it was just not a good walk pattern the entire time the tree was up.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've had the big and beautiful trees, I've had small trees, multiple trees, green trees and white trees. I've had artificial trees and I've had real trees. For me, as of about five years ago, I have a small, prelit, slender artificial tree that essentially comes in two parts, folds down, I plug it in, fluff it up a bit, hang some ornaments and I'm more or less done. I can still decorate it with my favorite pieces and I can still make changes year to year but the beauty is I can do it all with minimal hassle, without moving furniture and you know what, it's still pretty and it's still a Christmas Tree. For many years, I knocked myself out to do Christmas up right, but it stopped being a reasonable priority for me.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

Raising five children, Christmas was a big event. December first, I started decorating every room. Then the wreaths for the doors and the big tree. Most years it was a real fir tree.

When the children had grown up, I got a beautiful, prelit 7' tree.

It was decorated with beautiful ornaments collected over many years, since the 60's.

The family grew with marriages and grandchildren and I would bake for days and had a big Christmas dinner with Turkey and Ham.

When the family grew to 22, I could no longer accomodate

them all and my son started hosting Christmas in his larger house.

About 6 years ago, just about this time of year, I started thinking about no longer putting up a large tree, since the family were no longer coming on Christmas Day.

I started thinking about the beautiful white trees that some department stores would decorate with, back in the 60's.

So, I went online and found a company that sold beautiful white, flocked trees. I got a 4' tree and have been using it ever since. It is prelit with white lights.

I collected vintage ornaments in the pastel colors popular in the 60's. One year the tree will have all pink ornaments and the next year I use aqua and gold. I place the tree on an antique

marble table and sometimes surround the tree with gifts wrapped in pink or aqua.

It is different from the green trees that I loved for so many years. It is a soft pastel look and a nice change after all the

years of busy preparations for Christmas Days with a large family. The children were happy to get some of the old ornaments that they remembered from their childhoods.

Valued Contributor

Downsized on the tree years ago.   I have a slim 5 ft. that holds all my sentimental ornaments.   I've only decorated the living room, but now it's confined to the coffee table and the tree and that's it.