Honored Contributor

Re: ? about counter top material

@Bri369 wrote:

I have marble counter tops in my bathrooms.  They're a light color.  I just wipe them down.

I have granite in my kitchen.  

I have had no problems with either.  

My old house had corian counters and sinks in the bathrooms.  I didn't like it at all.  It had no personality.  

We too have marble counter tops in the bathrooms and granite in the kitchen.  No problems here either.  I would only add that if you opt for marble in the bathrooms go for a honed (vs polished) finish.  Lotions, potions, cleaners, etc. can affect the finish on a polished marble counter top.  I know this from experience in my last home.  I must have put a bottle of cleaner (with a bit of drippage) on the sink and it left a dull ring.  It didn't discolor it, but when the light was shining on the sink you could see the ring.  

Valued Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

Sorry, can't help. My choice has been, is and will be laminate... Not into stone counter tops for the kitchen... For the bathrooms, yes to stone, but have no preference for one over the other so would probably select from among those offering the best pricing...

Same thing here!... would/will not spend the money for stone... yes, it's pretty, but I don't like having to worry about tunking glasses, etc. on it and having them break.. have marble in the bathroom, but will probably go laminate in the furture... just my preference...

Respected Contributor

If you are planning on selling, I would look into what is the preferred/popular choice in your immediate area. 

I have granite and love it - in the kitchen and the baths.

I have seen them done with quartz as well - looked nice.

Both are completely different as far as looks go.

Whichever - I would stick with a lighter neutral coloration, and  not an overly busy pattern either. 

-Texas Hill Country-
Honored Contributor

BIG problem in my kitchen- the cabinetry is high quality and I wouldn’t want to replace it,  BUT, the counters are a really sad Formica, and they are INSTALLED within wood trim, so to replace the surfaces, all of the tops must be totally removed, a whole lot of mess for not a lot of gain. 

I’ve been brooding about this since Spring 2016.......

Also, I DESPISE SOFFITS, and I want them to be GONE, and DH, who really IS a great guy, just curls up like a little hedge hog and ignores me.......

Honored Contributor

@violann wrote:

BIG problem in my kitchen- the cabinetry is high quality and I wouldn’t want to replace it,  BUT, the counters are a really sad Formica, and they are INSTALLED within wood trim, so to replace the surfaces, all of the tops must be totally removed, a whole lot of mess for not a lot of gain. 

Also, I DESPISE SOFFITS, and I want them to be GONE, and DH, who really IS a great guy, just curls up like a little hedge hog and ignores me.......

@violann

What's a 'soffit'??

Honored Contributor

We redid our kitchen countertops a few years ago and went with granite. Originally I wanted quartz but the colors and lack of design didn't thrill me.  It took us awhile and I cannot tell you how many places we went to but we finally picked out a granite. 

We've had no issues at all.  Once a year I spray on a resealer as instructed.  to clean it I use the yellow Windex as they also instructed. 

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee--oh girl----there will a battle royale when the time comes to get the recon done---hubs built this place and I was not included in much of anything about it,  32 years ago----I hate soffits too and we have 3 tiny bedrooms that are damaged that I want made into 2 good sized rooms---let me tell you---it's gonna be brutal!!!!

counter tops will be a cake walk after all this   Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@violann wrote:

@violann

What's a 'soffit'??

The soffit is the useless pointless connection between the ceiling and the top of the closets, that may contain electric cords, exhaust fan vents, etc. but TO ME makes my kitchen more claustrophobic and less airy and inviting.

Honored Contributor

OH okayWoman Happy @violann. Got it. I have a section with a soffit above my stove where the exhaust fan vent goes up into the ceiling and that part is covered by the soffit. My other cabinets are all open up there...dusty and I hate looking to see just how much!Woman Tongue

Valued Contributor

@wagirl Quartz all day long. Granite needs to be selaed once  a year. Quartz is durable and needs no maintenance. I have dark counters that do show messes, but it makes me keep them clean. The lighter ones can hide kitty paws, so I like dark. Good luck and sorry about your house and the tree.