Honored Contributor

? about counter top material

I will be shopping for new counter tops soon as well as many other things----big, huge, tree dropped on my upstairs and destroyed all the bedrooms and bathrooms-----so my? is----granite, corian, quartz--absolutely NO  formica----wondering about prices, upkeep. My house is nothing fancy just a big box with smaller boxes inside. Won't be doing anything fancy as we will sell---great for starter home. Will prob go with designer of the contractor but was just wondering.

Honored Contributor

Re: ? about counter top material

I have granite in the kitchen and in two bathrooms and quartz in the other two bathrooms.

Both materials are easy to clean and require very little upkeep. I buy a stone spray cleaner and just spray and wipe.

I would suggest that you choose a light color.  Dark stone shows water spots, which can be a problem in the bathroom area.

Honored Contributor

I have marble counter tops in my bathrooms.  They're a light color.  I just wipe them down.

I have granite in my kitchen.  

I have had no problems with either.  

My old house had corian counters and sinks in the bathrooms.  I didn't like it at all.  It had no personality.  

Esteemed Contributor

I have corian countertops in the kitchen and bathrooms and love them. They last, look like new all the time and are easy to clean. Sure I love the look of marble but not the expense and care.( I have a marble floor) I watch a lot of the HGTV shows and they have been using cement and resin for countertops. That might be my budget choice if I couldn't have the corina. I would not break the budget with your long list of repairs/replacements. There is always something unexpected that happens and more $ to add to the total.

Honored Contributor

I just did new countertops and did quartz.  I wanted plain white and my options were quartz or formica, but the company I was using didn't do formica.

Like you, my house is nothing special and I did go to Home Depot and looked at formica as my mother has it in her kitchen.  It's definitely not your grandmother's formica anymore.

Quartz is easy to clean.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Respected Contributor

If I were remodeling, I'd go with a white or light quartz. That said, there are some stunning granites, and I'd consider one in a light color if it was beautiful and unusual.  I don't like dark counters.   Corian is easy, but not as striking.  (I have corian in my kitchen and cultured marble ... man-made ... in my bathrooms.)

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

We've had granite for years.  No issues at all.  In fact, I just picked out black for the new space downstairs and I can tell you I've had zero issue with water spotting either light or dark in the bathroom or kitchen. 

Very easy to keep clean and I've sliced, diced, and baked all over it and you'd never tell. My niece and I baked and rolled and spilled and sprayed every kind of marshmallow and chocolate and food coloring you could find yesterday and it wiped up beautifully on the black.   

Respected Contributor

We have had our granite kitchen counters for over 13 years. Love them! They are durible, easy to maintain and don't require sealing. I have raised an active family with these counter tops, no scratching, chipping or cracks with heavy use, still look fantastic.  If we were to move, I would put in granite again.

I have had formica, Corian and granite counters in places we have lived. Granite wins hands down.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Please find a local stone dealer. I found a company SMC Stone in NYC. The granite in my bathrooms and kitchen still look great.You have more options when you buy from dealer. you can find leftover stone from larger job to use as countertops for a bathroom vanity.

Iowe’s installed a countertop  in my home office. A quartz product would have cost me $ 4100. I went with a regular laminate top for $1600.

Respected Contributor

@wagirl wrote:

I will be shopping for new counter tops soon as well as many other things----big, huge, tree dropped on my upstairs and destroyed all the bedrooms and bathrooms-----so my? is----granite, corian, quartz--absolutely NO  formica----wondering about prices, upkeep. My house is nothing fancy just a big box with smaller boxes inside. Won't be doing anything fancy as we will sell---great for starter home. Will prob go with designer of the contractor but was just wondering.

I remodeled 3 bathrooms.  Two I put in marble and the third a quartz.  All light in color.  I plan on doing more remodeling in the future and will definitely use quartz again.  I like the marble (I went for the color) but prefer quartz.