Honored Contributor

@Kachina624  Enjoy your "break"!!!!   We will be having a week of 90's here, but it's dry and dusty.    And then......JUNE.......what can I say?    di

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

I have curtains on all the windows, always have and always will even though I curse myself when it's time to take them down, wash, iron and put back up.

I tried the mini-blind with valance only in the kitchen and didn't like it.  The look didn't fit with the room or the rest of the house.

Honored Contributor

Good question. I'd like to know what is used for patio doors other than vertical blinds. Not sliding patio doors but the kind that has one stationary door and one that opens to the inside. 

Esteemed Contributor

For me, it depends on the character of the house and/or room.

At my one kitchen window, I have just plants. In the office, I have just blinds. In the sitting room, which is a little more formal, I have lace floor curtains with a burgundy drape above.

I was visiting in a house last night, and they didn't have any window treatments at all anywhere, just blinds.

We had shutters in our last house in a few rooms. They just went more with the character of those rooms and house.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

What is trending right now for window treatments? I have plantation shutters on all my windows and those will always be stylish here in Florida. I thought that shades instead of curtains were "in" but I have some FB decorators I follow and they seem to all be using curtains again.Not drapes - but curtains. I do sorta miss having curtains in pretty fabrics but for sun control and privacy I wouldn't give up my shutters.

Clearly I have no intention of giving up my shutters - but I guess people on this board don't actually read the whole post. I brought this up as simply what I thought would be an interesting subject for discussion. 

Here in Florida seeing curtains on a window is a rare occurance, because the sun does ruin them very quickly.We have lived here 8 years now and I only know one person who has curtains.

On sliding glass doors they are now making honeycomb blinds that close from one side to the other.That seems to be the most popular choice where I live.They are expensive though. Expect to pay around $1000 for an average size door but if you have the style of door that covers an entire 12 ft wall as I do - I believe ours was $1400 and that was 8 years ago. The nicest thing about it is that it came with very pretty wood framing that looks almost like the door was made with very intricate wood framing. If we had it to do over, we would not have bought any cover for the sliders because it faces out over the lake so there is no need for privacy back there and we rarely ever close it.

Honored Contributor

The climate one lives in, and the style of the home and decor should dictate what is best as window treatment. 

I don't think there is a one size fits all answer as to what is best, even with those considerations taken into account, because personal preference will out rank even those things combined.

I think all decor components come and go 'in style' over time, and things can look very dated, but usually it isn't the actual thing, (say drapes) but the fabrics/prints/materials from which they are made that will make them look dated.

So, for instance, if 'they' say "drapes are out", they indeed aren't. The right style, fabric, color etc will make them seem current and stylish and more than appropriate.

I've had it all, at some point in time, in some home or another throughout my life. 

Custom drapes are nice, but expensive to pay to have cleaned, and really require a more formal home. They are a huge price commitment, so better be pretty neutral to get the years out of, for the cost paid. Drapes I see in stores and catalogs are much more trendy, not for me, as I don't change style for decades, but more cost effective for those that like to change often.

Curtains are ok for certain decor styles or certain rooms, but they often don't translate well for many styles of decor. I have lace curtains throughout my house. I like the vintage look, having something at the window that lets the light through, and easy to maintain. 

I've had plantations shutters, and while I loved the look, the keeping clean and dust free was quite time consuming work. Simply dusting them or the tools that have been suggested don't get them deep clean, and I'm not sure too many windows treated with them would be worth it to me, for the extra work involved. And unless they are changed, you install the mounting brackets into the woodwork, and should you decide to treat the window differently in the future, you have holes that have to be filled, sanded and painted, right in a conspicuous spot, probably never really disappearing. So something to think about before choosing.

I've had several styles of blinds, and quite frankly, blinds alone are cold and sterile looking to me. I don't like them, regardless of the style, fabrication etc. I'd rather just see a bare window most times, but that isn't always practical. 

If the windows and the wood work are beautiful and rich, I prefer no widow coverings at all. I love the light coming in, seeing the beautiful wood. But that isn't practical for most people. Same thing for stunning views. I'd tend to not want to cover the window in any way, but again, not usually a practical thing to do.

Honored Contributor

@151949, I was quoted $973 for a woven sliding shade to cover our patio door. Your comment that you wouldn't spend so much was interesting because I'm starting to feel that way too. Our backyard neighbors are far back and trees divide our properties. We rarely close our vertical blinds except on really cold winter days ( it faces north). 

Honored Contributor

@AuntG We bought them because the sliders face south so we thought we'd need them for sun control. However, the first 10ft of the lanai has a roof so the sun doesn't come in those doors. Like you ,occasionally on very cold winter nights it is nice to close them and make the room feel more cozy. So that is 1 or 2 days a year only.

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio  i couldn't disagree with you more about cleaning shutters. My sweeper has a dusting attachment and my housekeeper uses it every 2 weeks to dust the shutters inside and out. Only takes a few seconds and they stay nice and clean. They are white - they would show any dirt buildup - there is none. However, my housekeeper tells me that some places she cleans that have shutters  are more difficult to keep clean. She thinks it is because the static that gets on some of the materials they are made from causes them to attract dirt & dust. Ours are made from the same resin they make football helmets from.I specifically chose this material because they guaranteed they would never turn yellow from the sun and they would last at least 25 years, because the material is so durable. I am 100% pleased with them for looks, function and that after 8 years they still look brand new.

Honored Contributor

Funny - when we had the house up for sale we got feedback from several people that they hated the shutters and from others that they absolutely loved them. All a matter of personal taste.