Super Contributor

Windchimes--- do you like them?

I got some new windchimes and hung them outside (wishful thinking for spring to hurry up and arrive, I guess). DH said, wow those chimes are loud outside. Now I am wondering, if I am driving my neighbors crazy. Do you like windchimes? Should I consider that they may annoy the neighbors??{#emotions_dlg.huh}

Occasional Contributor

Re: Windchimes--- do you like them?

I detest the sound of wind chimes.  They are about as relaxing (to me) as a constantly dripping water faucet.  I realize, though, that people like yourself enjoy them.  A good compromise, and a way to be a terrific neighbor, would be to enjoy your wind chime when you are gardening, having a yard party/barbecue, or are otherwise outside reading a book, sunning yourself, etc., THEN take it back inside with you (much like you would any other music) when you go indoors.  That way, the people who are annoyed by it, and believe me there are plenty of us out there (!), will know that the noise will eventually go away at some point.

http://www.spaceclearing.com/blog/2011/10/12/why-wind-chimes-are-the-uks-most-hated-garden-accessory...

Respected Contributor

Some chimes are better than others.  Here is what we have:

Music of the Spheres and no one has ever complained.

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

I like the gentle, tinkling chimes which are soothing, not loud church chimes, so to speak.

Honored Contributor

My family loves wind chimes, and we have 2 small ones on the front porch, and a larger one hanging near the garage. As much as we like them, we all agreed they cannot be hung near bedrooms.
Honored Contributor

While I'm not a fan of the ones that make metallic\, tinkly sounds, I do like bamboo chimes.  But even those can be annoying on a very windy day.  They're pretty, though.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Respected Contributor

I LOVE them but only if they are well-tuned and melodic. Mine are. I don't worry about the neighbors. They have their own annoying things! It all evens out!

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Trusted Contributor

I like the large metal ones that produce a deep bass-like sound. The tinkling ones are irritating to me.
Respected Contributor

I find any constant noise irritating, so I wouldn't be very happy if a neighbor had wind chimes sounding all the time.

Honored Contributor

I wouldn't use them all the time if I had close neighbors or I don't  want to hear them constantly either, doesn't matter what sound they are.