Honored Contributor

I've lost my love for Hallmark ornaments

Back in the day (early 80's) I was a big fan of Hallmark Christmas ornaments. I have always collected many different types of ornaments, but have a collection of Hallmark that I really loved.

Fast forward to the mid 1990's, and I had a young son, who I purchased several Hallmark ornaments for. It was soon after that, that I realized I just didn't care for them anymore. 

It seems to me that the detail is gone, and most are so juvenile looking (ok if you are buying for little kids). There used to be more metal and other mediums used. The sizes used to be rather large, as well.Most of what is produced now looks cheap and plastic to me. 

I have a number of older ones that are indeed 'plastic' of some kind, but they have such intricate detail in the sculpting, and painting, with such wonderful deep colors, unlike any I've seen produced in years.

I truly don't mean to offend anyone who is still an avid collector of Hallmark, and each year I do see a couple that are pretty, but for the most part, I think this line, like so many other things, is just nowhere near as nice as it once was.

Are there others out there that think this product isn't the same, not nearly as nice, as in decades gone by?

Trusted Contributor

Re: I've lost my love for Hallmark ornaments

Yesterday, I went to Hallmark, to the Ornament Premiere Weekend, to pick up Star Trek and Harry Potter "sound" ornaments.  I am no longer a member of the Collector's Club, and I haven't put a tree up in years, AND I have hundreds of ornaments packed away in the basement which had belonged to my parents and to me from long ago.  But I do buy one or two every year that mean something to me.  As for the quality?  Were the two I bought worth over $50 plus tax?   I paid, but I think they are overpriced. 

Frequent Contributor

My husband and I have been colecting  the hallmark ornaments for 23 byears we have a tree filled with only. Them . last year they had a tree topper that was unbelievable hubby bought in secondary market. Sold out before ever going to store? Anyway the last several years we bought very few, terrible selection. We now only collect the magic motion ones trains and such, last year a marshmallowworld with Frank Sinatra style snowman  was nicely done. Most now require purchasing a motion cord! The prices are crazy. Unless something bites me  on first look we will unhappily be purchasing very few if any.. Maryanne

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]
As I've mentioned on another thread, I've significantly reduced the amount of Christmas "stuff" we have. Just don't want all the clutter anymore. Back in the day, I'd come home with two shopping bags full each premiere. I don't know if it's a change in quality/detail or just my tastes changing as I'm getting older. Both maybe.

I went yesterday and bought a few. I thought that Father Chrostmas was really well done so I got him. Late yesterday, I bought the polar bear that goes with him after I came home and realized they're a "team". I love both of those.

I really am enjoying the Marjolein Bastian series so I got A House for Wren. And then I got two others.

Now, if you want to talk about ornaments I REALLY love, it's the Patricia Breen ornaments. They're made in Poland. Expensive, but absolutely gorgeous. I have about 7 of those and I love them. They're in a totally different league than the Hallmark ornaments.

So, in answer to your question, I certainly don't buy the Hallmark ornaments like I used to, but there are still some that I really like and purchase.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I started collecting in the late 70's...oldest ornament was 1977, the year I graduated high school.

I stopped collecting about 2000, and just wound up stopping putting them on our tree. I got tired of them too. I even got one of those reference books.

I had collected a tad over 100 ornaments over about 25 yrs. In hindsight, wish I never collected them...oh well. I never thought they would be so hard to get rid of to sell them. They were supposed to become VERY collectable...not. All they did here was take up space. I kept thinking of all the extra time I took taking them in and out of each of their boxes so carefully to be able to use them on the tree *rolls eyes*...all for nothing.

In the end, I checked on EBay to see which ones were the most valuable and kept 3 of them...the rest I just donated to our homeless shelter. I'm thrilled at least others will enjoy them! I couldn't be bothered selling them on ebay and was just happy having the space back in the basement

Esteemed Contributor

Most things that are referred to as "collectibles" never have any real resale value. There are just too many produced. Think Beanie Babies.
Respected Contributor

I never collected Hallmark ornaments, but I've bought a few over the years, usually to give as a gift for someone's specific interest like boating, a college mascot, a vintage car, etc.  I've always been intrigued by the ones that have sound and motion, but the prices are so high.  For instance, the one this year called "On the Rooftop" is $49.95.  I cannot imagine paying over $50 with tax for a small plastic ornament, no matter how clever.  That's just crazy to me.

Honored Contributor

I have been buying a Hallmark ornament for my nephew for Christmas since he was born 26 years ago----he has an awesome collection of which he is very proud. I also buy Hallmark ornaments as gifts for newborns.
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]
I have Hallmark ornaments going back to 1976. Not really a collector, I just buy the ones that commemorate an occasion or just "speak to me". For the past few years, the thrill has been gone for me. Each year, the ornaments get progressively worse, with this year's offerings being the worst yet. Many seem cartoonish or just downright goofy and it seems as though the imagination and creativity isn't there anymore. I have a couple on my list, but don't buy near as many as I used to.
Super Contributor

I completely agree about the quality (or lack of) the Hallmark ornaments!  My in-laws used to buy them for their grands (our son included) from the time they were born.  They used to be beautiful and definitely collector-worthy!  Not any longer; they are almost dollar store quality now!  IMO, they are just no longer worth their price!  Really a shame!