Super Contributor

Re: Who started decorating for Fall & what are your decorating plans ?

JamaicaJammer , love the furniture in the photos you shared . I like primitive country style a lot , but I've drifted more toward eclectic in the past few years . Guess you'd call it more primitive/farmhouse/cottage/traditional/sentimental pieces from family -style . Lol. .......anyway , I mentioned a story about those wingback chairs . Many many years ago , when I was first married & we had produce crate bookcases , etc . , I saw an ad in the local paper for two wingback chairs at an affordable price . I called the seller & couldn't get there to see them till the next day because of my job schedule . I fell in love with the chairs , which were in excellent condition ; they were fireside wing backs about 50 years old at the time . The elderly woman had received offers from other interested parties , some had offered more than she was asking . She told the other people, that I was the first one to reply to the ad , and I was going to get the first opportunity to buy them . Of course I did , but wasn't that nice of her to do ? So , that's how we got our first " real " furniture, and at a bargain price to boot . The chairs have the same straight legs like in the photo , and they're wide but not as wide as the photo chair . Very comfortable tho . .......that's also quite the story about the young couple/ owners ........I hope their luck turns around . I've heard stories about other entrepreneurs in similar circumstances .......startups at just the beginning of the recession . It's too bad . .........well, I don't think that style is going away any time soon .....basically a classic style & there are always buyers for it . ........the photos are so clear btw . Can see all the details . Thnx for sharing .
Super Contributor

On 8/27/2014 Grade1Teach said:

The weather on Long Island this summer has been unusually cool too. However, this week we are hotter than we've been all summer. The humidity is wayyyy up too!

Either way, I'm going to decorate my home for fall this weekend. I always do it Labor Day Weekend, regardless of weather. Everyone around here heads back to school next week. And, back-to-school means fall is coming. I'm always ready for leaves, apples, pumpkins, and scarecrows this time of year.

I haven't purchased anything new this year, but I have three large bins filled with fall décor. It's always too much to put out at once, so I rotate the items year after year. It's like opening brand new stuff every fall!

I have my tried and true pieces that come out every year though. I have a pinecone wreath from BL. I have a beautiful fall wreath that I made two years ago. I also LOVE my tiffany inspired pumpkin that I got from here a while back. And, I can't forget my fall candles and accessories. I have a few pieces from Yankee Candle that are just beautiful for fall.

Can't wait!

Grade1 teach , it's summer ( again ) here too Smiley Sad ....no sooner had I posted my thread comment about cool weather , the 90 temps returned . It's been humid all week . Tomorrow t-storms are bringing a cold front & back again into autumn weather , lol. .........I like your idea about storing your decor in bins ! I've stored Xmas items like that for eons , but everything else goes back in its original box , with permanent black marker identifying each item on the box . There's a small mountain of boxes in the basement . Maybe I should unpack most of it & carefully place it all together in bins . ......There are a few collector pieces that I'd keep in their own boxes , but the rest could be put together . ...great idea . .......btw, did you get your tiffany pumpkin from the Tiffany-style lamp shows they had years ago ? I liked to watch the shows & have a few lamps from back then . .........would you mind sharing how you made your Autumn wreath ? I've made a couple over the years , using many natural materials from the yard & woods ........I'd buy a wired ribbon from Michaels to finish off . Orange isn't my favorite color , so I always found it a little difficult to find a Fall color palette I liked . What shades did you use in your wreath ?
Super Contributor

On 8/27/2014 terrier3 said:
On 8/25/2014 Nancy Drew said:

I live in So Cal so for the month of Sept. since it is still summer until the 21st. I do sunflowers everywhere. I feel it bridges the gap from summer to fall nicely. I do all my fall decorating Oct 1st. If I do fall too early I get tired of it then put out x-mas then I get tired of that so I stick to the seasons and not go too early.

Sunflowers are a GREAT idea!

I have an ivy wreath on my front door now and don't put out my maple leaf wreath until the colors change on the two Japanese maples flanking my front door.

I'm going to look for a sunflower wreath today!

Nancy Drew & Terrier3 , I agree about sunflowers . They are definitely cheerful . I like Autumn but the idea of no flowers & winter coming can be a drag ......sunflowers are just the perfect , sunny little ( big ) decor items , to make an arrangement more upbeat !