Honored Contributor

Re: When did bathrooms get to be so over the top?

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/1d/2e/19/1d2e19d77ed3290193cf5dea53d9524b.jpg

Honored Contributor

........since home builders and HGTV told us we needed and wanted it.  I like the plus bathrooms and masterbed rooms, but since I dont spend much time in either its a no go for me.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Esteemed Contributor

@151949 wrote:

And another thing - the garden tub- why on earth would anyone want to be naked in a tub with a window right there and the neighbors yard 20 ft away? If you live in the country or something where you can sit there and enjoy the view  - that's different. But we are looking at homes in planned communities where the neighbors are right on top of you.I don't want a window in my bathtub !

There are lots of options:  blinds, curtains, landscaping, frosted glass windows, a fence, etc.  I love all the light these big windows above my jacuzzi tub let in, and I have no concerns about the neighbors seeing anything because I've taken steps to ensure privacy.  

Honored Contributor

Isn't it amazing?  Words like spa and sanctuary are used to describe them.  For the amount of time a person spends in their bathroom, I don't see the point.  I'd like to update our bathroom, but even when it was done, there would just be a tub, shower, toilet and sink in it.  Extra storage would be a big bonus.

Honored Contributor

@wildcat fan wrote:

@151949 wrote:

And another thing - the garden tub- why on earth would anyone want to be naked in a tub with a window right there and the neighbors yard 20 ft away? If you live in the country or something where you can sit there and enjoy the view  - that's different. But we are looking at homes in planned communities where the neighbors are right on top of you.I don't want a window in my bathtub !

There are lots of options:  blinds, curtains, landscaping, frosted glass windows, a fence, etc.  I love all the light these big windows above my jacuzzi tub let in, and I have no concerns about the neighbors seeing anything because I've taken steps to ensure privacy.  

All the things to ensure privacy also mean you can't see out as well. So there is no point in having a window overlooking your garden if you can't see out.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Big bathrooms = more area to keep clean. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@wildcat fan wrote:

@151949 wrote:

All the things to ensure privacy also mean you can't see out as well. So there is no point in having a window overlooking your garden if you can't see out.

As I posted previously, there is a lot of light coming in through my master bath windows, so for me that's a good reason to have them.   If I want a room with a view, I'll sit it in the master bedroom, the sun room, the dining room, or the upstairs den.  There is a clear semi-circular window (about 3-4 ft tall) above the window next to the tub that allows a view of the tops of the trees, the stars at night, and sunset in the evenings if I'm interested in looking outside.  I have no problems with the windows in my master bath.  

Regular Contributor

@scraphappy wrote:

We are in the process of remodeling our master bathroom.  We just moved in last year.  The tub and shower are separate, on completely different sides of room and leaked.  So much work had to be done that we decided to update it.  I have a large home, about 7500 square feet, so you can imagine I have a large master bath.  The master bath was very dark...black granite, dark brown walls, dark brown trim, brown faux painted ceiling and very little light.  It's completely different now.  In creams, beige and ivory.  Took at the very large garden soaking tub and put in a free standing one.  Got rid of the black granite countertops and put in a marble (diano reale).  Added recessed lighting and updated light fixtures, including a chandelier over the tub (not crystal) but transitional I would say.  The tile in the shower was also dark and the little mosaics were peeling off.  All changed...larger, lighter tile with a large built in niche now.  My husband wanted a rain shower so that's the only new addition to the shower.  We had a very large bench in there which we made smaller because, in general, whoever the previous owners had do the bathroom did a very poor job.  I did add a towel warmer to the wall right outside the shower.  It's funny the original poster mentioned about towels, because the original owner of the house had nowhere to put towels. 

Leaks are no fun.  But the flip side, you were able to change the things you wanted to change.

I bet it turned out lovely!

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]
I honestly did not realize that bathrooms could be (unless for the very rich) so large until I saw HGTV and learned expressions such as "en suite."  Right now, I don't have a master bath or a two sink bathroom.  When we first saw them DH and I used to laugh about the necessity of synchronizing our tooth brushing.  I really would love a master bathroom with a separate tub and shower, some countertop room around the sink and some storage.  I don't really appreciate the separate toilet room as they look very small and I'm a bit claustrophobic.  The seated showers become handy as one becomes older.  I must have a window, but would not want a floor to ceiling window in the bathroom!
Do the math.
Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

Ouch, I am over the top in my home...............I love my bathroom, now its not real large but I have it really decorated as my bedroom and bathroom are my favorite rooms...........so I have beautiful art and shower curtain and towel sets and seating and well a chandelier and men have even said I love your bathroom...........I have lightening all over in soft lights...........but again I love the bath and I want it beautiful.  I have vases of flowers and I have the mini lights in the flowers..........those mini tiny lights........it comes on at night and its beautiful and my flameless candles...........I have a beautiful antique mirrior over my big mirrior............I can't add another thing but it is not cluttered........