Trusted Contributor

@tedEbear ~ You certainly are entitled to your opinion, and I welcome it.  While this may seem like a "super ridiculous" thing to fuss about, what isn't "super ridiculous" is the $4,000 my husband and I paid for the fence not two months ago.  It is not theirs to scribble on.  Period.

Their house is trashed.  It is filthy, run down, ill maintained.  I have no intention of letting them trash our property.  As I type this their front porch is loaded with dirty clothes hanging over the banisters as well as trash and toys strewn all over the front porch.  If this is how they want to care for their property that is their choice.  However, I take great pride in our home and feel if they would like to have a six foot sketching pad to put up a fence of their own and trash it.  

There is a thing called respect.  The fact that I tried to reach out to the owner (in a calm, kind way) and got no response (to this day) is what I consider super-ridiculous.  Seriously.

Trusted Contributor

@Allegheny ~ Thanks for asking.  They have tried to clean it and (this may come as a surprise) there are areas that are stained and no amount of hosing it will clean it off.  I'll just say that it is being handled and leave it at that.  I'm glad she found this amusing (per the police officer) because I have a feeling she won't be laughing in the near future.  

I would like to add this for everyone participating in this conversation ~ if I would have received a return phone call, a note in the mailbox, a knock on the door, something ~ this wouldn't have been taken this far.  I know the type of irresponsibility I am dealing with and that is why I choose this course of action.  The damage has been done.  It will be handled ~ either the easy way or the legal way.  I see what properties in our neighborhood are selling for and I want to keep our home as clean and maintained as possible.  I don't think that makes us bad people.  It is what it is.

Respected Contributor

@Julie928  Appreciate you taking the time to reply.   I thoroughly understand and approve of the position you are taking (and also why you may not wish to discuss any further on this forum).

Trusted Contributor

Re: What would you do?

[ Edited ]

@Allegheny ~ Thank you.  I get great advice and have chatted with some great people on this forum.  I just feel this topic has run it's course.  

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and in this case that one particular poster and I just have to agree to disagree.  Sometimes I think it would easier to not give a c--p and look the other way with regard to neighbors, etc.  Guess I'm not wired that way, lol.

Have a good evening!

Honored Contributor

@tedEbear wrote:

This is a super ridiculous thing to be fussing about.  The paint wasn't on your side, why worry about it?? If you go to sell the buyers aren't looking at thier backyard side of the fence. They would look at the neighborhood as a WHOLE, not backyards.  Unless this is a fence down the front side of the yard, calm down.  If it is in FRONT YARD, okay you have a legitimate complaint.  Just my own opinion,(cop's daughter)---tedEbear

I agree they buyers wouldn't see it.

However, the neighbors vandalized property that wasn't theirs.

Esteemed Contributor

@tedEbear wrote:

This is a super ridiculous thing to be fussing about.  The paint wasn't on your side, why worry about it?? If you go to sell the buyers aren't looking at thier backyard side of the fence. They would look at the neighborhood as a WHOLE, not backyards.  Unless this is a fence down the front side of the yard, calm down.  If it is in FRONT YARD, okay you have a legitimate complaint.  Just my own opinion,(cop's daughter)---tedEbear

I disagree.  It's not ridiculous at all.  These neighbors are inconsiderate, and vandalizing a brand new fence (or even an old cheap one) should not be tolerated.  It doesn't matter who can and cannot see it.  That's not the point.

I'm sure we'd all rather live in neighborhoods where people respect each other and where everyone makes it their business to keep everything looking as nice and as well-maintained as possible.  Looking the other way and ignoring this would be giving these horrible neighbors permission to make the neighborhood look trashy in ever-increasing ways.  What they did is also a direct slap in the face to the OP and her family.  I wouldn't put up with it either, and I doubt most people would.

What they did was most definitely not okay.  Taking action and letting them know it's not okay is the right thing to do.  It's not at all ridiculous

Trusted Contributor

@NYC Susan ~ Thank you for your post ~ and for understanding my position.  These are our feelings exactly.  I couldn't have said it better myself.  

Honored Contributor

@Julie928....I would have been furious.....I think you handled it properly and it sounds like the authorities have taken over, which is a good thing.

I cannot believe another poster thought it was silly to be angry, really??

We have a vinyl fence all around our back yard, I would have been furious if a neighbor kid had painted on it!  We are thinking about putting a small section of fence off our garage side of the house, so we don't have to look at our neighbors that do VERY LITTLE in caring for their yard.  They mow but rarely trim, and heaven forbid they rake in the fall...my dh is 78 this year....the neighbors are in their 30's!  Dh and I both rake but the fact that they do not really irritates us, everything blows into our yard, yes I know the fence section will not solve that problem,  it's my way of stomping my feet.

Trusted Contributor

@Mom2Dogs ~ Yes, I was slightly surprised someone thought it "ridiculous" that I am upset.  Believe me, I would much rather avoid the stress of the situation but I'm not letting this go.  My husband and I checked the fence out earlier today and yes, still pink.  Not exactly what I had in mind when deciding on a new fence.

The police officer that our neighbor smirked at should be calling us and hopefully stopping by tomorrow.  At this point, I plan on calling our fence guy for a written quote to replace all the stained pickets.  That quote will be mailed to them via certified mail along with a politely worded letter requesting payment for the repair.  It will also state if payment is not made within a certain amount of time we will have no choice but to file a case in small claims.  I already talked to our fence guy and he thinks the replacement, labor, etc will be around $1,300.  Not coming out of our pockets, I promise you that!

This may seem dramatic to some but I see no other way.  I have no intention of living with a pink fence, whether I can see it or not.  As for your situation, @Mom2Dogs I certainly sympathize.  Our neighbors are in their upper 30's and rely on funds from family to pay bills and to hire landscapers to do clean-ups.  If no one writes them a check, the house and yard goes to pot.  The bills are paid late, if at all.  (The city has been out once or twice to shut off their water for non-payment). 

Fences do make great neighbors.  Just make sure your neighbors aren't writing all over your fence.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Julie928, I haven't commented before on this but have followed it since your original post. I'm so glad to hear that you're finally getting somewhere, and was hoping from the beginning that you would contact the police and an attorney. For some to even suggest that you should just ignore the situation says little about their pride in ownership as well as the vandalism to your property. Of course you don't have a direct view of the other side of your fence, but the fact remains that it is your fence and your neighbors had no right to vandalize it. It's not over, but you are headed in the right direction! I had a big issue with a neighbor in my town home development and was able to work with the management company who worked tirelessly to resolve a problem since it was a big violation of our bylaws. However, if I hadn't had the management company in my corner, I would have done the same thing you're doing. I wish you the best, and please let us all know how it continues to play out.