Honored Contributor

I am wondering if the cops will even come out to look at your fence?  Not a life threatening thing in my view. I would take tons of pics and maybe go to the cop shop and talk to someone there, see what their take is  then go to an attorney.

Valued Contributor

Re: What would you do?

[ Edited ]

A similar situation happened here in the small town where I live many years ago. It involved the step-dad of a person I work with. The step-dad had some problems with new neighbors and reported it after trying to resolve the situation to no avail. To retaliate the neighbors put up a fence and defaced the step-dad's side so everytime he walked out into his yard he had to look at the fence with horrible graffiti. It remained that way for years. Eventually the neightbors moved and the new people agreed to allow his side to be painted. It was a really awful situation because he had lived in his house for decades with no problems prior to the problem people buying next door. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: What would you do?

[ Edited ]

We had a similar incident in our neighborhood.  Down the street a crazy neighbor put up three feet of suncloth above his fence and painted "f*** you" in large letters on back side.  The offended neighbor didn't take it sitting down.  He canvased the neighborhood, got supporting letters and a petition, took him to court.  Bad neighbor lost and eventually sold HIS home.  He is still a legend in neighborhood eight years later.

Honored Contributor

What I'd do would depend on what I could afford. If I could afford to move and work out the problems, fixes and so on from elsewhere, not having to live with their ongoing nonsense any further prior to selling the property, I'd do it. If not, then it sounds like you're doing what you need to do.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

If the other neighbors you have will support you in this and be for you I would go ahead and complain.  If nobody else in your neighborhood cares, yeah, I'd call a realtor and look LONG and hard about a new neighborhood. Absolutely! 

Trusted Contributor

Hey, everyone!  Today is a GOOD day, and here's why!

I took a look at the fence earlier this afternoon and noticed they tried to remove the writing but didn't try too hard, if you know what I mean.  There are streaks and streaks of pink all up and down the fence.  It actually looks worse than before. 

I called the lieutenant as he requested and he said he would send an officer out to talk to them and "follow up" as far as when can the rest of the cleaning be expected to be done?  The officer rang our doorbell and (I kid you not) told us she was appalled at our neighbor's demeanor.  She laughed, smirked the whole time and (the cops words) acted like she couldn't care less.  The officer promised she would come back every two days to follow up and told both my neighbor & I this case will not be closed until the fence is brought back to it's original state.   

The police officer asked me if they were renters because of the shoddy condition of their home and yard.  She was shocked to learn they own the place.  The nice part is I got a compliment on our butterfly garden out front.  The police officer said she never saw such beautiful milkweed!  It's so nice to receive a compliment on your property! 

Until next time, everyone ~ I'll keep you posted!  (And thank you everyone for taking the time to respond).

Honored Contributor

Julie, that is great you the police intervened.  Ask if you could call them directly if you have any other issues, then get their card.  Yes, today is a good day.

Respected Contributor

@Julie928

I was wondering how your fence situation is.  

Esteemed Contributor

I'm so glad things are going better, @Julie928. It says a lot that the neighbor lady has such a disregard for police. I bet this isn't her first rodeo with law enforcement.

Trusted Contributor

This is a super ridiculous thing to be fussing about.  The paint wasn't on your side, why worry about it?? If you go to sell the buyers aren't looking at thier backyard side of the fence. They would look at the neighborhood as a WHOLE, not backyards.  Unless this is a fence down the front side of the yard, calm down.  If it is in FRONT YARD, okay you have a legitimate complaint.  Just my own opinion,(cop's daughter)---tedEbear