Honored Contributor

What would you do with this wall?

This is the new living space.  I am going back and forth about what to put here on the front wall. 

The running thought all along was to put a mural or possibly wallpaper. 

I have also thought about doing an art wall with hanging pictures but that might get really busy unless I do all black and white.

Any suggestions from the experts?  

Mural wall.jpg

Trusted Contributor

Re: What would you do with this wall?

@Laura14 Where's LOLA.? I had a similar wall. Purchased a tall oriental four panel screen. Set screen in center of wall. I love it. Not sure op of others.

Trusted Contributor

@Laura14, thats a tough one.  I will think on it.

My first thought was to keep it simple, not too much.

I have a wall, in which I put a hammered silver square mirror, with nothing else.

Its large but not too large...and it completes the room. 

I bought it at home good for a steal.  ITS STUNNING.  But if you are not a mirror person, I will keep thinking.

Honored Contributor

@Skididdy wrote:

@Laura14, thats a tough one.  I will think on it.

My first thought was to keep it simple, not too much.

I have a wall, in which I put a hammered silver square mirror, with nothing else.

Its large but not too large...and it completes the room. 

I bought it at home good for a steal.  ITS STUNNING.  But if you are not a mirror person, I will keep thinking.

I actually am a mirror person @Skididdy and we know we're putting a large one in the next area.  Good thought!  Already on the list. 

This wall needs to be different and it's kind of a large one.  I like @sligo's idea of a screen since there's is probably going to be a lounge/exercise area there but I don't think that's big enough for the space.   

Esteemed Contributor

I would wait until you have furniture and lamps in place, and traffic patterns have been established.

Do you have any cherished artwork?  If that is a wall I would see a lot, and have opportunity to look at from across the room, I would put something there that I have owned and loved before, in another place.  Or that I would want guests to enjoy, too.

Have fun in your new home.  Was that a blue fridge I saw in an earlier post?

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

I'm a white(ish) wall person, and that is what appears to be the color of these walls, but even at that, this is a lot of white space. Something to warm up the room is indeed in order, in my opinion. 

A lot of what you do is going to depend on what else is in the room in the way of furniture. The flooring already has a pattern (something I'm not fond of anymore, as I think it makes the room too busy unless everything else done in fabric is without prints or patterns), and how much pattern will be in any window treatments, upholstered furniture and other things you are going to display. 

If it were me, I'd place all furniture and accessories first, then see what I thought about it. Right now, because the room is empty, it looks large and empty, but with furnishings it may not seem so big or so white or  needing as much attention as it does right now. 

Honored Contributor

I'm no expert but to me, like a gray suit, this needs a sprinkle of red.  Don't ask me why. But what's your furniture like?  Do that first, then look at that wall.  Lamps might fill some of that space and give a whole new thought to what should go there. Hey, how about single shelves for books, that can be put on multi-levels, to fill that area?

Honored Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia wrote:

I would wait until you have furniture and lamps in place, and traffic patterns have been established.

Do you have any cherished artwork?  If that is a wall I would see a lot, and have opportunity to look at from across the room, I would put something there that I have owned and loved before, in another place.  Or that I would want guests to enjoy, too.

Have fun in your new home.  Was that a blue fridge I saw in an earlier post?

@Sweetbay magnolia  The appliances are actually black stainless steel. 

I have a lot of huge 24 X 36 black and white pictures of classic movies like Katharine Hepburn, Spencer Tracy, etc that I was thinking I could do a collage of maybe.

The furniture is moving down in about a month and it is grey with a few purple pillows and a grey shag rug underneath.  I'll take a pic when it's in place and see what everyone thinks would look good. 

Respected Contributor

@Laura14  I'm all about the mirrors too.  Just make sure it's large enough for the wall.  You can get some really reasonable ones at Home Goods, or Kirklands.    Since I don't see any windows in the picture, a mirror would help to bring light into the area.

If your plan it to keep the decor simple, then go big.  There are some fairly inexpensive large canvas art pieces at many of the home item stores as well.  They are light and easy to hang.   You could add an oversized clock too if you like those.

......You look like I need a drink.....
Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

I'm a white(ish) wall person, and that is what appears to be the color of these walls, but even at that, this is a lot of white space. Something to warm up the room is indeed in order, in my opinion. 

A lot of what you do is going to depend on what else is in the room in the way of furniture. The flooring already has a pattern (something I'm not fond of anymore, as I think it makes the room too busy unless everything else done in fabric is without prints or patterns), and how much pattern will be in any window treatments, upholstered furniture and other things you are going to display. 

If it were me, I'd place all furniture and accessories first, then see what I thought about it. Right now, because the room is empty, it looks large and empty, but with furnishings it may not seem so big or so white or  needing as much attention as it does right now. 

Thanks @Mominohio.  I am going to wait until the furniture (mainly grey with some purple) is in place.  I was just wondering if anyone had any fancy idea right now as a blank slate.  The wall color is alabaster.