Honored Contributor

Re: What have you purged today?

We went to the Recycling center early yesterday morning to take our cardboard, cans, glass, newspapers and stuff.

I took a small shopping bag with things to Goodwill there.  2 pairs of slippers (I'm really not a slippers kind of girl), 2 pairs of jeans, a small cosmetic mirror and I think a DVD.  Maybe one other thing.  Oh.... a new memo pad that had more flowers on it than writing room.  Buh bye.

I also took a few more things to consignment last week.

Time to open another shopping bag.  I leave it open all the time in our office.  Once it's full, out it goes!

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

Early last week, I also donated quite a few Christmas decorations that I haven't put out in a few years.  It was my substantial collection of Woof & Poof reindeer and most of the Woof & Poof angels.  I left them in the large Sterilite tote and donated it all. The only angels I kept are the ones that sit year round by the front door, on our hall tree.

I was able to get a MUCH smaller Sterilite container to hold what I did keep.

I really need to pull the storage thing out that holds the Christmas decorations and go through that.  We didn't put up a tree last year so I didn't purge any.  I DID purge a ton of ornaments after Christmas 2016.  To pull that container out, I'll need my husband's help.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Valued Contributor

@CAcableGirl2

I've been reading this board, watching how all you are going at it and purging. I've been doing this for many years, so when we move and downsize and live simply like we did long time ago, it'll be easy. It started years ago, when I saw how little I wanted to decorate, and with so much Christmas decor it overwhelmed me. And, I was getting angry at myself because I couldn't find anything. I have written about being overwhelmed before and what I wanted to do. That really helped me get started, plus realizing I had too many emotions going on with Stuff.  I stopped buying plastic tubs to store and started to empty the ones I had. It's taken me quite awhile and now I know what I have and it's only two tubs of Christmas stuff. Last fall, I whittled down the fall decor to two tubs from four and need to get that down to one. I only have a set of two bunny people and nothing else for seasonal decor. I still have one problem, I now have a tub of luminaras, I don't know which to purge. I'm thinking maybe they will not light some day and then they go to trash.

I've gone through the kitchen items, got rid of two huge black trash bags of L&L, extra daily decor that I'm tired of, small appliances, pots and pans we never use, tons of bedding (down to only 2 sheets sets per bed), more than we ever will need throws, more kitchenware in my kitchen, etc. I have to work again on my clothes. This is the first location we lived where there are more stores than just Walmart; we've been here in the city area for 18 years now and it shows through all I've accumulated and purged.

My husband is the one who takes of care of (ie complains) the basement, so I've been going through everything! It seems like I've been doing this for a decade! I've purged a ton, and finally, FINALLY, my husband said something worthwhile. He asked me if I remember the storage closet at Ft. Riley, KS. Sure I did! It was the smallest one we had and I had to make sure I could get things out quickly and throw my son in there with pillows and stuff during tornado warnings. My husband said welll..., what I have left will fit into that size closet now! The kids' stuff takes up the rest of that bedroom in the basement (that's another story!)  So, after all these years, I've done the majority of purging and it feels good.

I have to get back to my clothes sorting and nagging my husband about the darn garage. He also tried to pull the stunt we need a shed for outside things, and I put my foot down. 

It is still very difficult to say no to buying more excess decor. I've tried a lot of different things, and it's a slow road. I can say, I haven't bought any decor since Valerie brought the swans in again last year. I wanted both colors, but only got the black, so that's good progression for me.

Honored Contributor

I slowed down, again, darn it. Lol. Today I began working on downloading songs I like from a big stack of albums dating back 20-25 years. Most of these albums I actually only want one or two songs, but this is a slow process. Once I am done, the stack of albums goes, along with the turntable that I am using to get them onto my laptop. That will be a major step as I have been wanting to do this for a long time, but another thing I kept putting back for another time, haha.
"To each their own, in all things".
Valued Contributor

@Snicks1

Albums are one thing both me and my husband like to use.  We are down to  two boxes of albums dating from 1968 onward and there is not a bad one in the bunch. We had help with purging  another 2 1/2 boxes, sticky finger movers from Ft. Riley to Ft. Rucker liked them.  But, they didn't get my Moody Blues complete collection!  The two boxes are included in the storage closet size (to put it into perspective, my walk-in bedroom closet is small here, but that storage closet was/is even smaller).  

You're tackling something I can't give away yet. Kudos to you! Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

No

-Do Not Copy Pls-
Honored Contributor

wrote:

@Snicks1

Albums are one thing both me and my husband like to use.  We are down to  two boxes of albums dating from 1968 onward and there is not a bad one in the bunch. We had help with purging  another 2 1/2 boxes, sticky finger movers from Ft. Riley to Ft. Rucker liked them.  But, they didn't get my Moody Blues complete collection!  The two boxes are included in the storage closet size (to put it into perspective, my walk-in bedroom closet is small here, but that storage closet was/is even smaller).  

You're tackling something I can't give away yet. Kudos to you! Smiley Happy

@Nomore, It's hard to give up the music. I also have tapes, but have transferred most of those already, a few left. Once I have them all transferred to my computer then I will decide, do I want them on CDs or MP3. Decisions, decisions. I know many are avid vinyl collections, so I'm sure there is a home somewhere for my stack. 

"To each their own, in all things".
Super Contributor

I just "donated" a circa 1980s Etienne Aigner (sp) strawish purse to my 9yo granddaughter. Hardly looked used, might have gotten a fair amount for it, but she is quite girly, and was very pleased, especially as it had a wallet on tether and a key fob.

I just don't use purses anymore, just a phone wallet with wrist strap/long strap option.  Still have one of the first Travelon bags from around 2005, and a hand-made silk purse my DIL brought me from Thailand that I'll keep forever.  Everything else got pitched. Well, there's still 2 Stone Mountain bags hiding somewhere to deal with. Not sure what I'll do with those.

Honored Contributor

I spent 3 hours going thru my ONE drawer of the 6 I have in my jewerly armoire----sorted by color, tossed out the junk/broken things and counted 203 pairs!!! Good gravy---it is all silver and gemstones mostly, with a few gold ones and lots of pearl studs, a couple CZs.they were  all mixed up and never could find anything. I need to clean it all now. Was thinking about using a ring roll to store them--Not the round tube kind but the one that is tucked into a long roll. Most all my earrings are studs so they would stay put. Pinterest---here I come!!!

Contributor

I have been in my closet purging all afternoon! The clothes are not so much the problem. Last night I decided if it wasn't in the clothing/shoe category it did not belong in there, what a revelation, lol! I can't believe the OTHER type of stuff I have in there, especially boxes, cards, letters, makeup, camera equipment, DVD's, jewelry, gift wrapping paraphernalia...I'm taking a break right now. I have stuff all over my bedroom, but hopefully it will be better by the time I fall into bed!