Valued Contributor

High Thread Count Sheets - sleep issue

I just read something interesting about sleeping better with lower thread count sheets.  200 to 300 count is redommended and organic cotton is the best material.  I've been sleeping with Northern Nights 600 thread count cotton sheets for several years and am always waking up during the night throwing my sheet off.  this time of year I only sleep with a sheet over me, adding a cotton blanket when it turns cooler.  So I'm going to look at the lower thread count sheets and was wondering if anyone else has changed and if so noticed the difference.

Honored Contributor

Re: High Thread Count Sheets - sleep issue

@catmamaI've never bought more than 400 thread count.  I did sleep once under 600's and didn't like them -  they felt too dense to allow for air circulation.

That's my reaction -  maybe I'm just not a princess after all!

Esteemed Contributor

In my experience 600 is the worse - heavy tight weave - minimum air circulation.  I gave my sheets away - top and bottom sheets filled the washer tub so much I didn't think clean unless I washed one sheet w/pillow case at a time.  Over time - the electric and water I used doing single. Got rid of them.  N N terrible I think.

Get Martha's at Macy's 300 count.

Honored Contributor

There is a thread on here from just a few days ago,that has some information on thread count.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

FYI......................

Honored Contributor

I bought 600 thread count sheeets one time and couldn't stand them.  I thought they were heavy and stiff.  I sleep on 300 and 400 thread count sheets and love them.  I like 100% cotton sateen.  

The article posted about thread counts from Peacock Alley is very interesting.  I've read the same thing other places.  We had a very high end store that sold sheets and towels only, and they explained thread counts to me.  They didn't sell anything over 400.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Valued Contributor

Thanks - I'll check out the articles.  I just never thought of the difference the thread count would make.

Honored Contributor

@Nicknack, I did the same thing exactly, bought 600 tc, couldn't stand them. The highest I will go is 400 tc.
"To each their own, in all things".
Valued Contributor

Northern Nights 700 TC sheets are my favorite.  So are the 600. 

Honored Contributor

I've had some high count cotton sheets that were wonderful!  it's the quality of the cotton probably that matters more.  

Tuesday Morning used to sell fabulous high count cotton sheets from Portugal that were out of this world.  They were smooth, cool, and washed well, and held up better than any sheets I ever had.  Expensive but worth every penny.  So soft, smooth and cool!