Respected Contributor

Re: What have you purged today?

I saw a trick about purging unused clothing hanging in your main closet many years ago.  One day, reverse the hanger on the curtain rod for all your clothes so instead of having to remove the hanger towards you, you have to remove it from the other side of the rod.  Six months later, whichever hangers are facing the opposite direction then you'll know what you haven't even looked at in 6 months...or a year for seasonal clothes.

It was an easy way for me to figure out what I was really wearing and what was just taking up space in my closet.

......You look like I need a drink.....
Honored Contributor

I cleaned out my refrigerator this morning and threw out left overs that were not eaten.  My DH says I have to culture them fist so as don’t feel guilty throwing food away.

It looks like a good new year resolution for many is to stop buying stuff you don’t need.  You won’t need to purge stuff, if you don’t buy it in the first place.  Learn to put the brakes on and say no stuff you absolutely don’t need.  

Esteemed Contributor

Desperately want to purge lots of drinking glasses in my kitchen cabinets.....but with both my knees very painful from arthritis, i can't seem to get motivated......ugh....

Honored Contributor

I'm planning to start on my kitchen pantry tomorrow.  (I've been under the weather with a stomach virus and didn't do any purging today.)  My DH always chides me for buying multiple items on sale and then not using them in a timely manner.  I must admit I am guilty of that.  I know I'll find outdated items. 

When I finish the pantry I'll work on my kitchen closet.  That's where I keep a lot of my pots, pans, bakeware, cookie sheets, small appliances, etc.  I know a lot of items there could be donated.

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Honored Contributor

@Mindy D

Rather than purging your vinegar you might consider using it to freshen your dishwasher.  Just add one cup and run dishwasher through its normal operation.  

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Honored Contributor

Vinegar never goes bad or expires.  It can get cloudy or grow a mother, but it is still safe to eat.

there are so many uses for vinegar, that there is never a need to throw it out.

Esteemed Contributor

The contents of the Fridge. 

The end of yummy holiday eating; back to the diet.

Also tossed a set of dead Christmas lights and cleaned out one kitchen pantry cabinet that was not too bad. Plan to continue purging every day for January- at least. 

Next up: master bath shampoos. Only keeping the one I like best.

Trash pickup tomorrow morning and recycling on Wednesday, so lots of stuff is going.

Esteemed Contributor

You should have seen the number of people donating at Goodwill on Saturday! Last chance for donation write-offs on taxes. TONS of clothes along with my bag of blankets.

Honored Contributor

I "purge" all year long so I'm never overwhelmed with stuff.

Esteemed Contributor

Along with purging, don't forget unwanted Christmas item returns.

I have several things scheduled to return tomorrow along with two clothing items back to the Q that I just don't love.

Planning to cut WAY back on Q purchases in the coming year.