Honored Contributor

What Describes Decorating/Decor to Me

Quiet luxury is truly a ‘less is more,’ understated elegance. It refers to the quality of elements and materials in a space versus a specific aesthetic or fleeting design trend. It focuses on timeless items with personal investment or meaning rather than simply another piece of disposable decor.” — Elana Mendelson, founder of Elana Designs in Potomac, Maryland

I found the above statement today that describes what my home is and what is comfortable to me.  

It is a mix of old and new, comfort, BOOKS, and things I love.  It is personal, soothing and liveable: Not trendy, some well loved, some newer some classics, some probably a little odd, worn or (gasp!) dated!.Woman Embarassed

If it is displayed, it means something to me and probably has a story to go with it.

Honored Contributor

Re: What Describes Decorating/Decor to Me

@Sooner wrote:

Quiet luxury is truly a ‘less is more,’ understated elegance. It refers to the quality of elements and materials in a space versus a specific aesthetic or fleeting design trend. It focuses on timeless items with personal investment or meaning rather than simply another piece of disposable decor.” — Elana Mendelson, founder of Elana Designs in Potomac, Maryland

I found the above statement today that describes what my home is and what is comfortable to me.  

It is a mix of old and new, comfort, BOOKS, and things I love.  It is personal, soothing and liveable: Not trendy, some well loved, some newer some classics, some probably a little odd, worn or (gasp!) dated!.Woman Embarassed

If it is displayed, it means something to me and probably has a story to go with it.

Love this 

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Esteemed Contributor

I agree with every word @Sooner My home has always reflected my family and changed as the kids grew.  Never was my home unlived in.  Even today when I live alone it's lived in and loved.

Honored Contributor

I wholeheartedly agree @Sooner .   It sounds a lot like my house Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Very good quote!

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sooner Yes, I agree.

Also, I heard a quote years ago on Oprah from the designer Nate Berkus that's always stuck with me. 

"Your home should rise up to greet you, and at the end of the day, it should ground you in a sense of peace." 

I like to think of my home as  pulling me in and giving me a big hug when I enter the door, haha.

Kinda along the same lines as your statement. I think your home, your haven should be a place that's beautiful and peaceful to you.

To me that means an uncluttered, beautiful, cozy, peaceful, relaxing, cocooning space with the things I love (which are varied and mixed).  I love home! 

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals" -Immanuel Kant

"Once you have had a wonderful Dog, a life without one, is a life diminished"-Dean Koontz
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

and that to me too is what a home should beSmiley Happy

My nephew said he was always sure my home would be so calming with throws and candles.

And I say also loved pictures and things that I love. 

A place you are always so happy to come home to.

I like that quote from Nate Berkus @GingerHead!

Thanks for this lovely post @Sooner.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

While waiting for my car to have its annual safety check today, the TV in the waiting area had one of the home shows on. The host/decorator gave a couple 3 different decorating scenarios with paint, wall papers, furniture, light fixtures, accessories, etc.

I wouldn't have wanted any of the 3.

In fact, I guess I don't understand how people leave decorating their homes to someone else. To me, our homes are so personal. It's where we spend the most time and with our loved ones.

And, how could choices be so limited? 3? As a home & decorative accessories Buyer for 20 years, I had almost everything to choose from at trade shows to put in the group of stores I worked for. I'd never let a stranger decide what I should or shouldn't have in my home. I'd be sure that there was a plethora of more beautiful things to choose.

A decorator has no idea about the special history of the items in our homes that we hold in our memories & hearts.

Respected Contributor

I totally agree and can relate that it is also my decorating style as well.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My guess is they just don't care for what ever reason.

I'm too design oriented for that view!!!