Esteemed Contributor

I have a large washer but an equally large puffy oversized king sized comforter.  It needs cleaning -- washing.  The comforter is heavy, padded, etc. I am wondering if there is a way to clean it, wash it. Should I attempt to stuff it in and wash it.  We are not exactly the in a city and no laudermats that I can find anywhere.   Just hoping someone has some advice before I either ruin my comforter or my washer.  Not considered a dry cleaner but has anyone done that.  Might be pricey.  Almost buy another one instead.

Honored Contributor

Re: Washing comforter advice

@bonnielu wrote:

I have a large washer but an equally large puffy oversized king sized comforter.  It needs cleaning -- washing.  The comforter is heavy, padded, etc. I am wondering if there is a way to clean it, wash it. Should I attempt to stuff it in and wash it.  We are not exactly the in a city and no laudermats that I can find anywhere.   Just hoping someone has some advice before I either ruin my comforter or my washer.  Not considered a dry cleaner but has anyone done that.  Might be pricey.  Almost buy another one instead.

@bonnielu I would try and see if the comforter fits in the washing machine first, if you have to stuff it and have trouble closing the door then its too big. I have three large comforters that I take to a laundromat, it is out of the way but worth the trouble of not taking to a dry cleaner.

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Respected Contributor

I have a large king down comforter which I wash in my Maytag washing machine with no trouble.  The only thing I would caution is the drying time.  I put a tennis ball in with the comforter and repeat the dryer cycle at least two times.  Works great for me.  Good luck.

Respected Contributor

I would make sure you have plenty of room in the washer so that it can move the comforter around to really get it clean and rinsed good. If you put it in the washer and it is full then I would not do it. Dry Cleaning them is really not that expensive and you can also talk to the cleaners because they also do washing of things that isn't actually dry cleaning.

Esteemed Contributor

First I thihk I will stuff and see.  Probably when the water starts it could get super-duper heavy.  Then I will hunt out a laundermat.  I think our last one was closed long ago.  Not sure. 

Honored Contributor

I've tried washing some oversize bedding and when the wash cycle was over and I took it out, it was still dry in spots.  I wash a full size comforter but that's as big as I'll do at home. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

I've done it at home with just a TWIN size down comforter. NEVER AGAIN. That sucker had my washing machine doing a jig.

Honored Contributor

I sympathize with you.  I have a king size mattress pad that I washed once in my washer but I won't again.  Fortunately, we've moved to a building that in addition to having my own washer/dryer we also have a laundry room with a commercial size washer.  I wouldn't try to stuff it in your washer but would ask a dry cleaner if they could wash it.  Some of them do both dry cleaning and laundry.  AND I would keep a duvet cover on it so it doesn't have to be washed at all!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

What about those kits or whatever they are for dry cleaning at home just using your own dryer. I recall getting a sample of something in the mail but never opened it, don't know if it's like dryer sheets or what. And yes, a duvet cover is a blessing. I have one on my own queen size one and just need to wash that. I do though, absolutely need to get one of my kids (they're adults) to help me get it back on the comforter cause that is a pain. Wish I could find one that has a zipper that goes around 3 sides. Mine has buttons at one end and it isn't easy wrestling the comforter back into it without help. After doing the other twin size one in the washer I would never attempt even that one again.

Trusted Contributor

Years ago our son washed his Queen comforter (Maytag top loader) and it was too big and burned out the motor.