Honored Contributor

Does the wallpaper work in this space?

Respected Contributor

Re: Wallpaper + Mantel Surround

I'm not totally sold on this one.  The wallpaper is ok but it almost looks like it's not finished.  If I walked in this house I would think someone was moving in and hadn't moved everything in yet.

Respected Contributor

I would never think to put wallpaper on that wall, but when I see it, I love it!  I wish I had that vision.

I am wondering how it would look with black walls on either side?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Is it wallpaper or is it painted? EIther way, oddly enough, I sort of like it... I don't, however, like the bookshelf abutting it to the side, the ceiling fixture or the chair. and not loving the rug... Everything else could probably be worked with, though the gold sofa is sort of intense and needs different pillows rather than that single huge one...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

I don't mind the wallpaper but that bookshelf with its clutter needs to go.  What were they thinking when the put it there?  Don't care for the rest of the room.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

I would never do that paper, but it does look pretty cool.

The fireplace surround itself is nice - squared and bold.

That couch is so retro looking - gold velvet - awesome.

Works well here.

What I don’t like here is the shelf unit against the fireplace wall, looks like there’s one on the other side too.  I would so ditch those and let the fireplace and bold walls really stand out on their own.

-Texas Hill Country-
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The worst thing is that ugly coffee table.   And those ugly white shelves.  Either put black or dark ones in or nothing.  They look like a sore thumb there. 

Honored Contributor

I like the wallpaper, but would worry there would be issues when the fireplace got really hot.  The rest of the room doesn't go with the wallpaper.

Respected Contributor

I like the idea of the wallpaper, but not that particular pattern.  What I really don't get is the furniture placement.  You'd think you'd want the focal point to the the fireplace, especially with that wall paper, but it looks like there is no furniture facing it.  You are sitting with your back to the fireplace.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

The wall paper acts like a painting and makes the main focal point, the fireplace, even stronger. (I like the print).

The oval coffee table is a good shape so there aren't too many rectangles in the room.

The colors are a "triad" on the color wheel..  Red (toned down to pink), yellow, and blue.

Image result for triads on a color wheel

I would have preferred a color out of the wall paper for the wall color.  The blue doesn't share unity with anything.