Honored Contributor

As some of you may know, I switched jobs this year and thus went back in time about 50 years.  My "new" school lacks many of the amenities that were standard at my previous school, and most of the buildings are ugly, run down, and appear dirty from decades of wear.  My building is historic, so there won't be any updates to the existing structure.  Cat Sad

This year I do not have a classroom, but rather float into four rooms throughout the day (two classes a day).  During the time when I'm not teaching, my "home base" is our staff office, which also contains the staff bathrooms for the entire building.  When I am in the office, I am directly outside of two bathrooms, so that is the ambiance.  

The "decor" has been lacking all year, so during our spring break (three days) I stalked online auctions from Goodwill and designed a custom framing project.  We do not have a big budget, and even if we did I could not use our departmental money to purchase anything related to decor.  Everything comes from my pocket.  

I started in the bathroom.  We have two bathrooms, with nearly identical setups.  The "men's" room door does not lock, so we use it when the "women's" is occupied, but any male staff member is welcome to use the facilities. 

We do not have a color printer, so if we need to print something in color we have to pay $.25 a page to print at our library.  I decided that since I had to pay anyway, I would just go to the copy center and have them done professionally.  I found "inspirational" quotes and messages from Facebook and Pinterest, printed them in color, and used scrapbook paper for the backing.  It ended up being 20 pages in color, I had the paper already, and then I laminated them at school.  

Honored Contributor

"Women's" restroom-

Honored Contributor

"Men's" restroom-

Honored Contributor

@lolakimono.  I have one question (you don't need to answer).  Why in the world did you voluntarily change jobs?  Sounds like you traded heaven for hell.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Before picture-

This is the table where we eat lunch, right outside the men's room, LOL.

I won this auction of "French" prints (two of them are actually of English places).

7 Prints of French Scenes - shopgoodwill.com

My former work spouse and I attended a conference, and he won a door prize.  He gave it to me, so I told him that I would do something with it.

Image result for walmart photo gallery frame set black laugh

It was from Walmart, with these scroll things (I threw them away) and I had to use Velcro to attach the frames to the wall since they are PLASTIC.  

This is what that wall looks like now.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@lolakimono.  I have one question (you don't need to answer).  Why in the world did you voluntarily change jobs?  Sounds like you traded heaven for hell.

@Kachina624 

In one word- leadership.

I went from doing middle school (9 years) with last year teaching three preparations, all three grades, 250 students to being department chair with two preparations, upper level classes and the ability to actually SPEAK Spanish all day with my heritage language learners.  Heart  The hours are earlier, but my commute is also cut in half.

Honored Contributor

I don't know what to say other than I know I would not want to be so close to the bathroom facilities. I guess if you are used to an upscale,more modern environment this might bother you. My husbands school was remodeled in 2006 and it's better than it was, but not much better than the pictures you posted. The male/female restroom was right next to the staff lounge and all you heard all day was the toilet flushing. 

Honored Contributor

This is the opposite wall, from two angles.

(I bought the red clock earlier in the year, because I was tired of looking at a non-functioning clock).  I also bought the turtle on the table, where I keep chocolates and the silver fish platter, for when I bring in treats.

This is the after, with bark/papyrus paintings and hookwork art.  I kept the sombrero, in case someone had an attachment to it, LOL. 

Cultural Fabric Textile Landscapes x 2 - shopgoodwill.com

Native Style Painting On Papyrus Additional Information on Art: Native Style Painting On Papyrus Art Medium: Believed to be acrylic on papyrus Signature: Not signed Approximate Dimensions (Width x Height x Thickness of...

Bark Paper Painting of 2 Birds by Unknown Markings: No markings found.  Dimensions (Inches): Frame: 29x21.5x1 / Art: 25.25x17.75 Condition: Item(s) are in good condition. Item(s) show wear with some scuffs, scratches, fuzz/lint, and is a...

Honored Contributor

Restrooms-one on either side, separated by a chalkboard.

Men-

Women-

Contributor

You did a great job! At least you have a staff bathrooom. We female teachers have to share a small three stall bathroom with our middle school girls. It's so awkward and uncomfortable to be in the stall next to my student! Our staff room doesn't even have a sink. Just a fridge, a tiny microwave, and two old beat up tables and filthy chairs. If you want to wash out a coffee mug, you have to do it in the dirty bathroom sink.