Honored Contributor

Wow I think you all are living in the by-gone days of shower doors. They make frameless doors that don't accumulate mold now. I have a frameless door on my big walk-in shower. My home is 3 years old and I haven't had to lift a finger to clean anything because there is nothing. Sure I clean my tile and the inside of the glass (doors) but I have never seen any mold accumulate like in the olden days. 

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

If there is no curb or lip on the shower area they will slope the floor towards the drain.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@godi wrote:

Mz iMac thank you for that recommendation, I have wondered if that brush works. Do you replace the head or whole brush when cruddy?  This could be amazing! Thanks again. ❤️👍

I have the Hurricane Spin Brush, it's amazing.  I never bend over for anything, even cleaning around the toilet.

Yes you can buy replacement brushes.

If mine ever dies, I'll buy another one.

Honored Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

Wow I think you all are living in the by-gone days of shower doors. They make frameless doors that don't accumulate mold now. I have a frameless door on my big walk-in shower. My home is 3 years old and I haven't had to lift a finger to clean anything because there is nothing. Sure I clean my tile and the inside of the glass (doors) but I have never seen any mold accumulate like in the olden days. 

I always told myself I would never get a walk in shower with glass surround, including glass doors but the first time I used one, there wasn't anything left on the inside.   No water, no condensation, nothing.    I'm sure there are bathroom products made to repel water drops and condensation but there are also products in the automotive department as well.   In fact, back in the day when I had the 1 piece fiberglass tub/shower combo, after cleaning I would use car wax on the walls to help keep them clean and easier to clean.

Sliding shower doors = mold

Shower curtains = mold

Glass shower doors = priceless

Trusted Contributor

Interesting thread, thanks for posting. I am also looking at converting a bathtub to a shower in the near future. For those of you  that have done this, did you select a contractor or use one of those companies like rebath or bathfitter ? My bathroom is very small but it will be a gut job, new floor, vanity , lighting, shower. Due to my age and  husbands, and I am already having mobility issues , we feel now is the time. What advice can you offer about the contractor, and products you selected.? Thanks.

Esteemed Contributor

Last year I had my bathroom totally renovated and got rid of the bathtub to have a walk in shower and couldn't be happier (now that it's over).  I had left knee replacement less than two years ago and before and definitely after the surgery I knew I would never ever use the bathtub, those days have been long gone.  My contractor suggested and installed a ceiling fan to use when we shower.  The shower floor has a slight incline so the water goes down the drain very nicely.  I have the sliding rainfall design glass doors with a 2-3 inch border to step over and the water stays in the shower.  I also brought one of those cleaning gadgets that you have to charge it comes with different brushes to clean the shower and the other areas of the bathroom since it's mostly tile now.

The construction was crazy I can't lie about that but so worth it when it was finally done because they had to tear it down to the bare walls and discard everything so the dust and garbage was making me crazy and I had the contractor as well as three to four other helpers in and out all day.  I also got a higher toilet too.  My other bathroom is next to be renovated and I will probably get a self cleaning toilet snce that's on the main floor and gets the most use.  Just thinking ahead as I get older.

Honored Contributor

@webbgarner1

we used a contractor. our oversized shower (or party shower as some people call them) is all tiles.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@Luvitorleaveit1 wrote:

Last year I had my bathroom totally renovated and got rid of the bathtub to have a walk in shower and couldn't be happier (now that it's over).  I had left knee replacement less than two years ago and before and definitely after the surgery I knew I would never ever use the bathtub, those days have been long gone.  My contractor suggested and installed a ceiling fan to use when we shower.  The shower floor has a slight incline so the water goes down the drain very nicely.  I have the sliding rainfall design glass doors with a 2-3 inch border to step over and the water stays in the shower.  I also brought one of those cleaning gadgets that you have to charge it comes with different brushes to clean the shower and the other areas of the bathroom since it's mostly tile now.

The construction was crazy I can't lie about that but so worth it when it was finally done because they had to tear it down to the bare walls and discard everything so the dust and garbage was making me crazy and I had the contractor as well as three to four other helpers in and out all day.  I also got a higher toilet too.  My other bathroom is next to be renovated and I will probably get a self cleaning toilet snce that's on the main floor and gets the most use.  Just thinking ahead as I get older.

@Luvitorleaveit1  Wow, self cleaning toilets?  I have never heard of these, but will be looking into them before renovating my bathrooms.

Esteemed Contributor

@mousiegirl- yes my hubby saw them after the bathroom was done so I said next bathroom.

Super Contributor

I had bathtub removed in 2nd bath when I purchased my home and have never looked back since.  I realized that when I get really old it won't be easy for me to step into a bathtub. 

BEFORE

Hall Bath 1 BEFORE.jpg

AFTER

Hall Bath 2 AFTER.JPG