Respected Contributor

Timely topic.   Our landlords had our windows cleaned today and 3 hours later it rained.  A light rain; just enough to mess everything up.

Respected Contributor

I bought some Sprayway today at Walmart and I'll see how I like it.  My storm door is a mess from winter.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: WINDOW CLEANING

[ Edited ]

For all the people doing windows, do yourself a big favour and buy a Karcher window cleaner.  I have huge windows all over my house and cleaning voukdn’t be easier.  Wipe down the window and use the Karcher window vac.  I bought mine at Canadian Tire.  Probably available at Amazon or other hardware stores in the US.

See this YouTube video.  LM

A56B5006-B6B6-409E-80CE-5021354BDACB.jpeg

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=X6IoTFqaegc

Respected Contributor

I just had mine done by a local cleaner, and they look fantastic.  What a difference it made.  Money well spent.

Honored Contributor

@ScrapHappy How old is the structure?

Honored Contributor

Haven't read the replies, but I can tell you after years of streaking I've found my magic bullet.

Here at Q they sell two different Bio Cleaner cloths. 

Some are white and the others are blue (and I think they have multiple colors of that one now), Both are good. Use just water, wring out tightly, and clean.

Tips. Keep rinsing the cloth out, don't do windows in direct sunlight, as it seems to cause streaking, and I will say that when I had windows that had aluminum around them, especially if it was painted, the paint was oxidizing and causing streaking no matter what. I have vinyl now, and that problem is gone. 

No cleaners or paper towels to buy now, and no streaking. 

Oh, and keep the cloths just for glass, don't use them for anything else. Machine wash, very tiny amount of soap, no softeners and line dry. They don't look pretty after many uses, but work so well.

Trusted Contributor

Could it be that your windows are starting to fail? Not sure if that is the right word but a few of my windows have had the seal break and it makes the windows look dirty but really it is moisture in between the two windows and it looks terrible. The only solution was to replace them. Glass Company told me this is normal but now the windows come with a lifetime warranty so it made spending the money not quite so painful 

Respected Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

House built in 1995

Respected Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

Forgot to mention that even though house built in 1995, all the windows (30 plus) were replaced in 2004 by the previous owners (only other owners of this house). They are high end windows (Marvin).  One cracked an it cost almost $2000 to replace it.

Respected Contributor
I would like to recommend going to the window company since they are s reputable brand. Have them out to check.
I find it difficult to trust this is just a cleaning solution issue. I totally understand your frustration. My old windows had not been cleaned much and I think some dirt just was baked on those windows that got lots of sun.