Honored Contributor

I have two bagless upright vacs and dont really care for either of them. I prefer the bagged canister I had before it quit working. I saw that I can order one.

What do you prefer?

Can you still buy vacuum bags easily?

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Bagless or Bagged Vacuum?

I prefer bagless.  I like being able to wash out the cannister and filters.  I haven't bought bags in years so I can't help you with that. 

Good luck with your decision!

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

Still plenty of bags around, I will never have a bagless vac, I have a vac store in my area, the owner refuses to even sell them. 

Super Contributor

@CherryHugs 

I bought tow Dyson bagless vacs, a canister and an upright.  I fell for all the hype about why bagless was so wonderful (yada, yada, yada).  Well, they never and still don't tell you exactly how you should clean them.  When I cleaned them it took forever and then the filter had to dry, etc.  After a few years, I gave my cousin the Dyson canister and a friend the Dyson upright.  If they didn't take them, I was going to curb them both. 

I bought a Miele canister (bagged) and Miele upright.  Already had a Kenmore Progressive HEPA Filtration canister (bagged) and I much prefer all of these over any Dyson any day of the week.  I have severe allergies and Asthma and don't need to be in contact with dirt and dust. 

I also have a vac store near me and I echo what @Shelbelle said.  The owner of my store said exactly the same about not carrying any bagless vacs.  He also said they're garbage and I couldn't used any of  them on a trade-in toward the Miele vacs.

If you go on Amazon, you can find bags and accessories for virtually any vac you have.  I just ordered bags and filters for my Kenmore which is about 17 yrs old.

Honored Contributor

I much prefer bagless.  Easy to maintain.  I'd never go back to bags.

Esteemed Contributor

@CherryHugs - You're getting some great feedback here! I just want to add one note, in case it is helpful: If you or your loved ones have allergies or asthma, a bagless vacuum is likely not a good choice. Although some bagless models do pick up more dust/dirt/junk overall, the particles that are released into the air as part of the vacuuming process and especially while emptying the unit can be very irritating and can trigger asthma attacks.

I borrowed a friend's Dyson to see if it was worth the money, and although I was fairly impressed with its performance, when it came time to clean up I was sneezing like crazy, my eyes watered, and I had some breathing issues—and my allergies are mainly to outdoor things like grass and ragweed, and my mild asthma is typically only triggered by extreme cold or over-exertion. In looking at reviews online, I found that this was a somewhat common reaction and is a reason why bagless cleaners are not universally recommended. I was glad my sister wasn't visiting at the time because she has severe allergies and asthma; she even uses special vacuum bags to minimize dispersion of their contents (which you can get many places, including Amazon).

Esteemed Contributor

Have all bagless but would prefer bags.

Honored Contributor

Haven’t owned a vacuum with bags for over 20 years, and wouldn’t consider going back to one.

Honored Contributor

I use bagless vacs with HEPA filtration. The last vac I had which used bags seemed to put out a lot of dust...it did not have a HEPA filter on it and so I got rid of it and bought a bagless vac with HEPA filtration. The pre-motor filtration foam/felt  I change after each weekly use so that keeps the motor super clean.

Honored Contributor

I prefer a bagless vacuum.  I empty them right after using each time....outdoors then wipe them clean.

When they are dirty, I wash the filter and the canister too.  I would never go back to the type with bags.  I like to use a fresh cleaned vacuum each time.  Also if I accidentally pick up something in error, it is easier to retrieve.  I don't have to cut a bag open and search...yuck!