Honored Contributor

WILD ART COLLECTION IN HISTORIC NY RIVERFRONT APARTMENT

Thomas Jayne is a sophisticated designer, who can do traditional "froo-froo" with the best of them.  Some time I'd like to show him in that mode, but here's his work in a quite different, sort of austere, masculine look.

Anyway, this is described as an Art Deco-era (early Thirties) riverfront apartment on Beekman Place.  What kills me is the owner's art collection-- you will see Picasso, Rothko, Max Enst, Fernande Leger, Jim Dine, Jackson Pollock, and on and on.  Wow!   I think it's all integrated in a very interesting way.  The room colors are not necessarily my favorites, but I so give Jayne points for mostly avoiding "gallery white", ha.   Anyway:

Beekman-place-06-800x985.jpg

Beekman-place-02-1280x721.jpg

Beekman-place-01-414x282.jpg

No, no,  I do not like the tomato-red table, no matter its provenance!   Like the graceful chairs though, and oh that quintessential New York view!

Beekman-place-03-1-800x1066.jpg

What a great place to snuggle with a book, on a sunny day like this, or a foggy one...

Beekman-place-04-1280x1705.jpg

I do love what Jayne did here-- turned this bronze Swedish urn into an unusually handsome side table.  Appealing chair upholstery detail:

BEEKMAN-Chair-detail-800x626.jpg

Vintage chair, modern console.

Beekman-place-05-800x1066.jpg

For me, I'd never choose this amber or tobacco wall color, but it glows in the river light, and makes a striking backdrop to the paintings...

Beekman-place-07-1280x961.jpg

Beekman-place-08-800x582.jpg

Again, this extraordinary art is allowed to shine in the quietly decorated bedroom.  I like the way the graceful curve of the metal foot board contrasts with that "moderne"-looking desk.

Beekman-place-09-1280x961.jpg

Again, it's a bit too masculine or restrained or something, for me, but how perfect for a social bachelor who gives lots of dinner parties-- maybe a museum curator, ha.  I could sure get used to living with that unbelievable art collection.  In my dreams.  The apartment does have that other "indispensable" for me,  wonderful river light apparently streaming into most of the rooms....

Respected Contributor

Re: WILD ART COLLECTION IN HISTORIC NY RIVERFRONT APARTMENT

Wow, love that place! I would definitely live there. The art is reminiscent of the type of art my son paints. Very abstract and he has been compared to Basquiat in his style, so Im all over that type of artwork.  Thanks for sharing...and yes, stunning view!

Respected Contributor

@Oznell   I take this as a pied a terre in a heartbeat. Thanks for posting 

“If we couldn’t laugh we would all go insane.”- Jimmy Buffet
Honored Contributor

How cool that your son is an artist, @bmorechick,  and I'm sure you have the pick of his work!

Me too, with just a few tweaks, @luvzchiz!

Honored Contributor

There is definite appeal in this apartment, the view is spectacular.  I do appreciate  the art work even though I am not a modern art fan.  I love the room with the green walls, fireplace, book shelves and beautiful couch and two chairs, love the fringe!  That room is warm and inviting.  The rooms are bright and for the most part I appreciate the style and design.

Honored Contributor

Oh, I had missed that fringe until you pointed it out, @spiderw!   A real Anglophile touch.

Honored Contributor

I truly like every room....I even like the tomato red table. At first I thought it looked totally out of place but it quickly grew on me and I now think it gives the room a modern pop of color (I hate that saying lol).

This apartment is so well done. What I like is the bright airy feel every room has.

Honored Contributor

Even though many of the elements would not be of my choosing, there are also many that I can very much appreciate. This seems like a warm and comfortable apartment made up of marvelous spaces and special vistas.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

Even though many of the elements would not be of my choosing, there are also many that I can very much appreciate. This seems like a warm and comfortable apartment made up of marvelous spaces and special vistas.

I love your comment, @stevieb 

I find it intelligent and respectful.  

@Oznell 

I do love a fringed sofa!  It's one of the fun features I immediately noticed.

I used to think, like many, that white walls were the best for showing off artwork.  That is, until one day I visited a friend's new apartment in which the walls were a soft, beigey pink.  And her artwork just popped off those walls.  It was incredible how your eye simply relished the richness of the background while still knowing that the art was the focal point.  

In case you were wondering, I have had beigey pinkish walls in my living areas since then.  And still love the color.

Does anyone else immediately think it's a movie set when you see a New York vista?  

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

@Oznell  I want to compliment you on the way you describe what you are presenting.  It is always beautifully worded and I feel like I am reading a magazine.  You missed your calling because you defintely could have had a career in writing in some form.  

As far as this designer, I like some rooms but the one piece of furniture I cannot get past is the orange round table.

kindness is strength