Honored Contributor

transitionalstyle.jpg

I like to look at lighting (and am in desperate need of some new lighting in my house),  but hate just seeing it lined up in some showroom.  This "Shades of Light" site creates these cute little vignettes to showcase their various pendants, lamps, sconces and chandeliers, etc.

They resemble little stage sets-- not attempting to look like an actual room, necessarily  But they're sort of fun to look at.

I like both the "drum" light here, and the rectangular lamp bases.

3land---Copy.jpg

The chandelier here is interesting--  the whole scene is so fanciful, with that Scandinavian clock and "ancient" paneling.  It reminds me of a little fairytale.

12land.jpg

4land.jpg

Cube lighting is too modern and hard edged for me.

5land.jpg

The room is too far in the "boho" direction for me, but I love that doggie.

AB12_2-3.jpg

They seem to have tons of midcentury modern options.

B23_Cover.jpg

F16_23.jpg

Nice bathroom lighting, especially iron and wood pendant chandelier.

D20_BackCover.jpg

I don't like bubble lighting overhead, but this seems like a cozy spot.

B20_Cover.jpg

Delicate little sconces.

11land.jpg

Pretty chandelier.

F20_Cover_blog.jpg

G19_Cover.jpgE20_page23.jpg

D20_Cover.jpg

Traditonal wrought iron is such a strong, appealing look to me.

D20_Pg23r.jpg

Lovely gilt palm leaf sconces.  How pretty if you had sort of a modern, tropical space...

E19_BackCover.jpg

I like to look at lighting and lamps, but decisions are hard!   Do you have a favorite type of lighting?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: VARIOUS TYPES OF LIGHTING

If you need light - get fixtures that will provide it.   Those all appear to be 'mood' lights.   (like....in the mood = dim)

Honored Contributor

My favorite overhead lights are crystal chandeliers.  I love the look, the elegance and formal style.  There are so many designs and I am always drawn to these chandeliers when entering historical home which have them.

My mother had a Waterford crystal chandelier in the dining room, not a hugh one but a lovely looking one.  I have it now in my dining room. I am able to clean it myself but the huge chandeliers are another story!!!!!

I also like other lighting but the crystal is my favorite.

Respected Contributor

@Oznell  I enjoyed this lighting post. Interesting vignettes and light fixtures.

Esteemed Contributor

Interesting to what the new styles seem to be.  Must admit I am not such a fan.  just too too much for me.

Trusted Contributor

What a fun collection of rooms to look at. Thanks for posting. Not sure what you are wanting in the way of reactions--they're all nice in their own ways. My general comment is that overhead lights, especially heavy hanging fixtures, make me feel uncomfortable and flinch-y. Nice to look at through an open door, as in these photos, but I dislike being under them. Hanging over a table, fine, but not over beds and sofas. 

Respected Contributor

@Oznell   Doggies make everything look better. I'm the person who goes right for whatever animal/pet is in a room.  

“If we couldn’t laugh we would all go insane.”- Jimmy Buffet
Respected Contributor

I have driven myself crazy with searching through lighting collections . I have returned 

various lamps after assembly and disassembly, frustrated and ready to throw in the towel.

I hate being able to see bare bulbs or unappealing glare or shadows,unbalanced lighting, too bright or too cool, the confusing array of LED bulbs, etc. etc. 

Poor DH gets nervous when he sees me looking at lighting websites, he has installed and uninstalled many fixtures over the years that I have boxed up and returned. 😥

Honored Contributor

Oh, boy, @spider woman,  lucky you to have your Mother's Waterford chandelier!   I bet even cleaning it is a labor of love, and time to gaze at and enjoy the sparkle.

You've described the dilemma acutely well, @Azcowgirl !  There are so many variables as you note, affecting how it will look and function once you get it home.  It's one of the one areas of decorating that can be confounding and frustrating.  For me, maybe it's also that it's not purely decorative, but has that technological aspect that must be gotten just right!

Honored Contributor

I like lighting, too, @Oznell .  It's hard to go through the different lights and pick them out though.  I'm putting a new vanity in my guest bathroom and had to decide whether to put in a three light strip light or sconces.  I finally went with sconces, because the mirror I chose was tall.  

I went through so many different sconces.  My favorite only took 40 watt bulbs, and I knew 80 watts wouldn't be enough light in that room.  I finally chose one that takes up to 100 watt bulbs.  It is clear glass and uses the old fashioned style bulbs, kind of Edison style.  It comes with two 60 watt bulbs though.  Maybe that will be enough.  I hope so, because it's very hard to find anything over 60 watt in that style.  It was very hard to find anything else.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau