Honored Contributor

Mixing+Styles+With+Lea+Marietta.jpg

I thought Studio McGee did such a nice job mixing "styles" in the Northridge remodel, but then, they always do!  Often there's a little bit of traditional, modern, coastal (they favor neutrals, but are partial to dreamy blues with those), midcentury modern, Scandi, urban farmhouse, even a scoop of industrial in their work.

l.jpg

Here's Shea McGee's friend Leah Marietta in her new-build house, which she wanted to be traditional in spirit, but with eclectic accents. Shea McGee collaborated with her to pull that off, and she discusses her tips in the video below. ( If you prefer to find the link yourself, you can google  How We Mix Styles-- Studio McGee):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeU3awlj9QY

I like the way in that scrumptious bookcase they sort of rhythmically balanced the modern elements-  sculpture, plant pots--  with more traditional, like the tiny painting, books and basket.

She's right that keeping the items in a similar color palette, regardless of the disparate styles, helps them to live in a lovely harmony.

The furniture is modern or "transitional",  but the rug underneath is gloriously traditional-- I LOVE that rug.

Mixing+Styles+With+Lea+Marietta.jpg

You can get a better feel for it in the video though, plus a bonus glimpse of the charming exterior of the house.

Honored Contributor

I LOVE the exterior of this house.

The inside is very nice but art is so personal. I didn't like the art above the fireplace and some of the sculpture in the built ins. Other than that I thought it was very well done.

Esteemed Contributor

I really wasn't looking at the house.......I love that dress and shoes the woman has on.......it's cute and so is she Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

It's beautiful, but I don't like the art above the fireplace. The Area Rug looks very very similar to the one I have in my Living Room right now! 

Honored Contributor

I must've missed something, as I didn't see all that much of a mix, nor did I see much I'd label 'traditional'. The room, overall, reads modern and, of course, neutral. For me, the mere inclusion of an 'oriental' style rug doesn't really outweigh all the bright white, the art and the bleached wood tones none of which seem very 'traditional'. I did think the rug was pretty. As far as it goes, despite some clear traditional influences, the home's exterior is not particularly traditional either, though it has a certain appeal.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

What a cute Interior Designer!   She is very good with Unity and Variety, two of the main elements of design.

I am not fond of many thing on the book shelves.  I prefer to have something visually stimulating.  I also don't care for the coffee table, and I have seen some beautiful modern coffee tables.   The focal point over the fire place has no presence at all except from about 15 ft back except for the darkness of the frame. 

The room makes a very cohesive picture, but to me it comes off as "cold".

Honored Contributor

Re: MIXING DESIGN STYLES

[ Edited ]

I'm one who likes a lot of abstract art, as well as semi abstract and representational art;   but must confess, the work over the mantel here does nothing for me.

I'd rather something with higher contrast, and something more interesting than that "scribble" effect.

Surprises me a bit, b/c Studio McGee has some nice art of their own.  Couldn't find any abstracts of theirs that wowed me, but one of their hazy landscapes of theirs, I think, might have been a felicitous choice:

studiomcgee_TargetFall_010.jpg

Respected Contributor

I'd like to see a more interesting coffee table since that seems to be the focal point. Maybe one that picks up the darker color in the rug. I like the pottery.

Honored Contributor

Aside from the beautiful rug,, there is not much I like.  I have been mixing design styles for a long time but not those type of designs. The room empty is spacious and and I would empty it and add color and my taste.  This area is too stark  and while I know we all have different tastes in design and style, this doesn't fit mine. However, it is always interesting to see all designs and styles.

Honored Contributor

Overall I like it very much.  One thing that stands out that I'm not crazy about is the coffee table.

The art above the fireplace doesn't have much impact, but I suspect that was what they were going for.  I think we all rather expect "important" art over a fireplace which is why the piece used is a bit of a disappointment.