Respected Contributor

I saw a utility room that had a front load washer and two front load dryers stacked beside it. I have always said I needed two dryers. Mission accomplished with minimal usage of floor space.

Honored Contributor

I have 2 working washers, and a spare for the basement washer.  

When we moved the laundry upstairs, we left that washer (now 20 years old) in place for my husbands work clothes, rugs, etc.   It is used weekly to wash the fleece bedding for teacher daughters guinea pigs.   The bedding is hung on lines in the basement.

5 months ago when my main washer started leaking, it was moved to the basement to wait it's turn as the spare, and I purchased a commercial washer for upstairs.   

Honored Contributor

Just saw a sale on Speed Queen commercial washer/dryer for a combined price of $2499. I thought those things must hold a lot of laundry.

Respected Contributor

If you have a basement, have someone hang PVC piping as clothes lines.  DH ran several long lengths of approx 3-4" diameter white PVC.  (Easy to clean off if needed.)

After about 10 minutes in the dryer, I take sweat shirts, golf-type shirts, pullovers, nightgowns, etc. out of the dryer and place over the plastic piping to air dry. I have enough to room to loop the long arms beside the tops.

No ironing needed if care is taken to smooth / shake out the shirt body.

I also use the adjustable pant stretchers for slacks and esp. shorts.  Again, no ironing needed. ( my slacks are simply put over the piping. )

When I wash the down comforters, I take them directly from the washer to air dry.  I fold them in half and snap to loosen any bunched pockets of down.

This saves on electricity and commercial cleaning costs.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill